Removing light and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove a light and switch. On the light, can I just disconnect the light fitting wires from the connector box, push the box into the wall and fill in the hole? Or would I burn the house down?

Also, what's the best way to disconnect and leave the wires from the switch?

I am not replacing or moving the light or switch.

Sponsored Links
The best way, I'm afraid, is to remove all the wiring completely. I get the impression that it's a wall light, and so the "connector box" is unlikely to be part of the actual lighting circuit, but if it is then the connections need to remain accessible.

There is also the problem that if you just remove lights and switches and leave the wires there, with no longer any obvious indication of their presence, then some person in the future might drill or screw or nail into the cables.

Thanks for the response. Yes, it is a wall light. Now that I think about it, removing the wires between the light and the switch shouldn't be a problem, so maybe I should just leave the switch.

Sponsored Links
If you can remove the wires then you can safely remove the switches and lights. It's the prospect of buried live wires that do not run to switches or lights that would worry me...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back