Recent content by Jillofmosttrades

  1. J

    EICR Question on Upgrading to RCBO’s

    Hi Folks, I have a small house which I am thinking of renting. I know I will need to get an EICR to do this. The distribution board I have was installed under the 17th edition of the wiring regulations. This means I only have one side of the board protected by RCD. Does anyone know if I...
  2. J

    Vertical rad bleed thread blown

    Thanks for your thought folks! :-)
  3. J

    Vertical rad bleed thread blown

    Heya! Did indeed use PTFE, probs not enough, maybe too loose so it leaked, maybe too hard so it leaked. Dunno really. I guess I’m asking to see if anyone has experience of trying to repair something that far gone who can unequivocally say ‘that’s too far gone, don’t bother it’s done, go get...
  4. J

    Vertical rad bleed thread blown

    Hey people who know!! I have two vertical rads in my house that I fitted some years ago. I clearly didn’t fit the bleed valve well and I have ignored a problem. Shall I replace the really bad one? The other one is showing first signs of the same thing - do that one too or leave it...
  5. J

    Commercial Door Liners and Carpets

    I have just worked it out for myself. I will buy linings designed for 2040 doors (mine are standard U.K. size) and cut them to the length required. Cheers.
  6. J

    Commercial Door Liners and Carpets

    Hi Woody, nice to see you again :-) I am not fitting a commercial Door set . I am putting in FD30 doors which are not supplied with a specific jamb. I will be fitting the relevant smoke and intumescent strips, hinge locks fittings etc to whatever liner set I install. This is not my concern, I...
  7. J

    Commercial Door Liners and Carpets

    Hello, looking for suggestions to do this job most simply. I will be fitting door liners in rooms which will eventually have carpet. Clearly door liners go to the floor, but commercially available liners are sized exactly to the door so they just skim the floor surface. So - I cannot fit...
  8. J

    How on earth do I actually fit a C100 Simulated Flashing?

    Hey Folks! I am about to fit a new fibreglass roof and i've got the whole sequence down except this one piece. I've fitted lead flashings before and understand how they go in, but I'm looking at these fibreglass replacements and i'm filled with trepidation. I'm hoping someone can put me out...
  9. J

    Warm Roof Not Possible Due to Low Windowsills -Help!

    Hi Folks, I have a peculiar issue. I have a flat roof over what is about to become a kitchen dining room. The roof is not in terrible shape - I would say in the normal state of things it had maybe 3-5 years left on its life, however, as we are renewing the kitchen we would like to put a roof...
  10. J

    Vaillant Horizontal Flue Leaking At joints

    Hello Folks, Just to let you know, i’ve Been in touch with gas safe and although the installer is no longer registered they will still come out and do an assessment and let me know if the install is acceptable or is the root cause of the issue now. They’re coming out in the middle of May - so...
  11. J

    Vaillant Horizontal Flue Leaking At joints

    Hasn’t been serviced for over a year, so that’s a good shout. The original installer said he’d come and do that too... Humm... never happened either :-s Realise of course that means the warranty is probably invalidated as well. Ah life. Old&Cold - you have a good eye, that is the very finest...
  12. J

    Vaillant Horizontal Flue Leaking At joints

    Hi Hason, It does indeed. It was also something the original installer said. So the issue may be a bit of both... Do you happen to know when the new design came in? Might help me know if it’s worth just replacing the flue at the same time as adjusting the fall...
  13. J

    Vaillant Horizontal Flue Leaking At joints

    Hey John! now that is a great comment!, and I think you may be right - I have this odd thing on my computer that renders PDF glyphs (like plus/minus) as squares, or sometimes as something else entirelly (like for example a minus - indicating 'to') I did find the range a bit odd when I was...
  14. J

    Vaillant Horizontal Flue Leaking At joints

    Unfortunately not, the loft is due to be converted and we want to put a bathroom there (don't worry though - there will be access hatches for inspection and maintenance of the flue) :-)
  15. J

    Vaillant Horizontal Flue Leaking At joints

    I think it might be condensate because it's done a fab job of eating through the plasterboard beneath really quickly - I'm thinking (non competent person) that's more likely to be the acid in condensate than a few drops of rain water as it's not leaking a huge amount...
Back
Top