Vaillant Horizontal Flue Leaking At joints

I think it might be condensate because it's done a fab job of eating through the plasterboard beneath really quickly - I'm thinking (non competent person) that's more likely to be the acid in condensate than a few drops of rain water as it's not leaking a huge amount...

Sponsored Links
I think it might be condensate because it's done a fab job of eating through the plasterboard beneath really quickly - I'm thinking (non competent person) that's more likely to be the acid in condensate than a few drops of rain water as it's not leaking a huge amount...
With all these condencing boilers now it cant be long before you wont know the difference (Acid Rain)

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately not, the loft is due to be converted and we want to put a bathroom there (don't worry though - there will be access hatches for inspection and maintenance of the flue) :)

Hey John! now that is a great comment!, and I think you may be right - I have this odd thing on my computer that renders PDF glyphs (like plus/minus) as squares, or sometimes as something else entirelly (like for example a minus - indicating 'to') I did find the range a bit odd when I was reading it, and it would make far more sense to present as a median and then a variance plus or minus. that makes it entirelly clear in my mind then - install specs is an absolute minimum of 30mm per meter of pipe run drop. I'll be having my laser level out tonight, but just by eye (as everyone else already said) there is just no way it's installed at that minimum angle.

Thanks for that!

Hi Hason,

It does indeed. It was also something the original installer said. So the issue may be a bit of both...

Do you happen to know when the new design came in? Might help me know if it’s worth just replacing the flue at the same time as adjusting the fall...

Hasn’t been serviced for over a year, so that’s a good shout. The original installer said he’d come and do that too... Humm... never happened either :-s

Realise of course that means the warranty is probably invalidated as well. Ah life.

Old&Cold - you have a good eye, that is the very finest cowboy crazy paving stucco that south east London 70’s style could muster. I could show you some far more hilarious things on the original and subsequent building works on this house, - you’d barely believe your eyes. I should start a thread...

Hey Folks!

I have a thorny issue with a flue installed at the same time as a new ecotec boiler about a year ago. I noticed a couple of months ago that it was leaking from two of the connector joints connecting the extension pieces of the flue together. I called the original fitter - he came, said it was all installed correctly (I guess I should have watched what he did to ascertain that) and said that Vaillant flues “ have this problem” and that I should call them. Clearly that’s rubbish, but i’d like to know what the problem could be. I’m not having him back here again, that’s a lost cause, he either doesn’t know how, or is not willing to, fix it.

After he had visited one of the joints had stopped leaking, (I think) - you can see a little green strip of paper taped to the pipe as my test to make certain)but the other one remains leaking...

I did call Vaillant, they told me (unsurprisingly) to get another plumber....

It looks to me like it’s installed at the correct angle (believe 1-3 degrees sloping back to boiler).

Attached a couple of pictures...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance folks!
View attachment 139869 View attachment 139870

Looking at that picture it’s looks like the plume from the flu has been slowly eating away the cast iron pictured just to the right of the flue

Not my problem, but you dont know its condense, it could just as easy be rain water,or an installer having a schitty day and couldn't be bothered to clean up the cut end of his flue and pushed the flue gasket out when he assembled it, who knows? Without being rude, having spent my entire working life as a gas fitter and serving a five year apprenticeship, I probably know a thing or two, just because my RGI membership has expired doesn't make me an idiot theres alot of idiots out there who have their cirtification, the installer of that flue for one.

ummm,
just for the record i meant that although the flue isn't falling back to the boiler (judging by the brickwork to point it out obviously to the OP) it also might not be cut straight, de-burred, or pushed in enough. But to see that the flue would have to be dismantled by a gas safe engineer.

ummm,
just for the record i meant that although the flue isn't falling back to the boiler (judging by the brickwork to point it out obviously to the OP) it also might not be cut straight, de-burred, or pushed in enough. But to see that the flue would have to be dismantled by a gas safe engineer.

Exactamundo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back