Vaillant Horizontal Flue Leaking At joints

We know what you meant, I was CORGI/Gassafe registered for many years but I wasn't made aware you had to hand in your sense of humor at the assessment training centre door :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Now lads let's take it easy remember you're all good tradesmen here and trying to help someone,so let's not get into a slagging match with each other and let ourselves down.Bob

Hello Folks,

Just to let you know, i’ve Been in touch with gas safe and although the installer is no longer registered they will still come out and do an assessment and let me know if the install is acceptable or is the root cause of the issue now. They’re coming out in the middle of May - so i’ll Let you know what they say! :)

Sponsored Links
While the flue doesn’t seem to have enough fall as long as the analyser readings were/are fine no one is in danger. As far as the leakage on the flu joints, this is a known manufacturers error. I’ve honestly lost count of how many Vaillant installs that I’ve come across with leakage on the flue seals and all are the same flue designs.

It's highly unlikely the "inspector" will go as far as pulling the flue apart so if the leak is down to insufficient deburring or a trapped seal we still won't know. Only paying another rgi will ascertain that. There's also the issue that condensate might be leaking sufficient to find its way back to the boiler casing causing corrosion within. Given that the warranty might now be in jeopardy through lack of the annual check I'd just get someone else in double quick.

Hello Folks,

Just to let you know, i’ve Been in touch with gas safe and although the installer is no longer registered they will still come out and do an assessment and let me know if the install is acceptable or is the root cause of the issue now. They’re coming out in the middle of May - so i’ll Let you know what they say! :)
Hi Jillofmosttrades,

I have a Valliant Ecotec Plus 838 Boiler. I have the same issue you reported on this forum 2 years ago (I'm posting here as it's relevant to my issue). My boiler has an extended flue about 4-5 meters. It was fitted 4 years ago passed gas safe installation etc. I have had a boiler service and CP12 every year. There is water coming through the flue joins after the boiler has been running for a few minutes from someone taking a shower.

What did the gas safe say when they came out? How did you get your issue resolved? Any help massively appreciated.

There is water coming through the flue joins after the boiler has been running for a few minutes from someone taking a shower.

This is indicative of a failed inner flue seal which is an extremely dangerous situation as it will cause a build up of carbon monoxide. You should turn the boiler off immediately and not use it again until it has been fully inspected and repaired

This is indicative of a failed inner flue seal which is an extremely dangerous situation as it will cause a build up of carbon monoxide. You should turn the boiler off immediately and not use it again until it has been fully inspected and repaired
Thanks for the reply muggles. Here's a link to what is happening:

It's been happening for some time, around 2 or 3 months, but it was thought it was from the shower, and as it doesn't happen after every shower, it was not easy to know it was the flue joints. It was only yesterday by chance when I had a handy man in to decorate a fix the wall with the water, someone was taking a shower and he saw this and took the videos.

I've contacted a boiler engineer and waiting for them to call me back.

My advice still stands, even more so now that the joints have been disturbed

My advice still stands, even more so now that the joints have been disturbed

Just to update on this thread. The gas engineer went in and had a look. He took readings attached and said everything is safe and he's happy with everything (he checked the seals and added 2 screws to the flue, and he checked the boiler)

full

full

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back