£5580 to move meter inside house by December 2011

Can I ask in return does your question have any relevance?

There may be other solutions which may or may not be applicable to your case which you may not know about which could possibly be relevant. We cannot advise fully unless we know what you want to acheieve in the end

Sponsored Links
Can I ask in return does your question have any relevance?

There may be other solutions which may or may not be applicable to your case which you may not know about which could possibly be relevant. We cannot advise fully unless we know what you want to acheieve in the end

I did ask you a page or so back....

I asked because such infomation may allow the wise one's that are trying to help you to find alternatives. That main cable looks like lead and that means it's very old, aged to a point where movement could cause cores and insulation inside to break and fail.

If a replacement cable is required I'm unsure if the network guys could provide a join to a modern feed cable or if they would insist on going back to the street join under the road or path.

I asked because such infomation may allow the wise one's ...

i need to move it because part of the wall where it is now will be demolished. why do i need to demolish that part part of the wall? there will be a door to the garage. why do I need to put a door there? so that i can get to the garage from the house.

i hope this invaluable info about my motivation can help the wise ones to tell me an answer to a question "Is there anyone in London apart from UKPN who can do the job of moving this meeter in a residential property?"

Sponsored Links
Basically you'd got all of the information that people here could provide.

Some of us wanted to know what was behind your desire to have it moved, in case there were other other ideas we could suggest - you know, as in useful information.

And what response did we get, when we tried to find out more so that we could possibly help you more?

i need to move it because part of the wall where it is now will be demolished. why do i need to demolish that part part of the wall? there will be a door to the garage. why do I need to put a door there? so that i can get to the garage from the house.

i hope this invaluable info about my motivation can help the wise ones to tell me an answer to a question "Is there anyone in London apart from UKPN who can do the job of moving this meeter in a residential property?"

Is there anyone in London apart from UKPN who can do the job of moving this meeter in a residential property?"

There isn't, but it could be worth asking UKPN for a site visit

Get a eastern european in, they move them all the time.
Then wait for your house to burn down :D

Get a eastern european in, they move them all the time.
Then wait for your house to burn down :D
Like undo a few screws and coil up the cable in the corner of the room - leaving everything in place on the boards while moving it - who on earth would do that and keep quiet about it - they might even build a wall over the coil of cable to hide it :LOL: Despicable

Goodness, is it THAT time of the month :rolleyes:

I have 2 that suffer similar symptoms is the house, without the desire / want or need for an additional internet PMT sufferer.

I was going to suggest chasing out the floor, creating a cavity for some earthed boxed galv trunking that when lid'ed sits level with the floor. Then seeking a contractor that simply breaks the lead at the garage break in point and runs a new jointed bit from that point to the new position for the meter and head.

Instead I'll mainly be having a few down the pub.

Might I suggest that you stop posting and start designing. Maybe if you came up with a plan of action and stated what prep work you will do you could go back and ask UKPN for a requote based on an exact spec and as much prep work as they will allow to help reduce the costs.

My God, i go away for 2 days and this thread has descended into anarchy :LOL: i was in "That There London" but that is a different story.

You say you want to move the cable because you want to knock the wall down. Your problem is that from the pictures of the service head, it is an old cable and a new head, so when they fitted the new head they must of deemed the cable to be fit for use as it stands.

You have asked for a quote to move the head but the DNO deem, that to move the head they will need to replace the cable because as in a previous post, if you move that cable, there is a good chance that it will fail and they have quoted you the prise to do so.

Even if you can find a contractor who is authorized to carry out the work by the DNO, you will find that the quote will probably be much the same if not more. minimum of 2 men on site, permits to obtain, cable, joint, ducting, re-enstatment, testing and then you will need an electrician on site to reconnect between the new location and the old.

wouldn't moving it down mean it's where you want the door to be?
if it is a door you intend to put in then surely you want to move it sideways, not vertically?
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back