‘Restyling’ a wooden garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really like this design of garage door, which I hope will compliment the cladding on my extension, when it’s done, but these doors are over £3k new in the size I need.

99DB1CA8-56B8-407C-B583-114FBE5FBBA8.png

(This one on eBay is 300mm too small and my opening is already built).

However, I’ve found this used garage door online which is the right size, but what peaked my interest is that looking at it from the inside it looks like the sort of door I actually want.

CA9A4688-3E59-4A8A-8399-7942ED8C4A6F.jpeg

5E174E83-C540-4ADC-8480-9B5B1DED4A31.jpeg

The frame appears to be riveted to the wood, so my initial ideal of turning the wood around probably would look a bit rubbish...but what do you think the odds are that I could strip off all the extra wood decorations to the exterior of the door (to get it back to vertical strips of wood) and then sand it down to get it back to bare wood (which would then be treated)?

Worth having a crack to restyle it?

Probably one of those threads where it’s hard to comment without seeing the door close-up....but I’m thinking it might be worth a gamble of a few hundred quid to possibly save a couple of thousand.

I guess if the old wood isn’t salvageable, I could get some new oak and re-use the metal frame and still save money versus the cost of a completely new one.

Sponsored Links
Probably destroy it in the process, have you considered 2 doors the vertical designs lends itself to having 2 doors of same or similar sizes and possibly cheaper kit do you require full width opening to park?

Probably destroy it in the process, have you considered 2 doors the vertical designs lends itself to having 2 doors of same or similar sizes and possibly cheaper kit do you require full width opening to park?
Thanks for your input - any reason why you think it would be destroyed? (I.e. the removal of the decoration or the sanding down or other?)

Yes I want a double garage door as ultimately the garage will be used for a single car that is parked centrally, with various worktops, bikes and other junk being stored around the perimeter of the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back