Problems with a door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Have been trying to fit a new front door only making it an interior as we now have a new porch.
As with many things in the house it seems the Original
front door frame was not put in properly :evil:
What i assume is a weather strip .........a strip of metal running along the bottom frame sticking up about 5mm is at an angle not straight with the frame. Found this after trying to work out why the door was not fitting in after making it true to the frame.
How easy is it to remove this strip or is there an easy way of cutting it without damaging the frame as it runs up to the edges so i can't see how i can get an angle grinder in without going into the frame as well.
The new door is hollow, having looked at the old solid wood door it had a strip of wood about 28mm along the bottom so it would close as it is 40mm width, the new door is 30mm.
Any idea welcome

Thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
The old door would have been rebated to fit over the weather bar.

Why are you using a flimsy interior door ? You may find your insurance will go belly up should you ever need claim, they wont be bothered that it’s a secondary entrance door they will still class it as external door. And a hollow door is not an external door, never in the rain of pigs’ pudding. So I would reconsider your options.

If the weather bar goes under the legs of the frame then you will have a very difficult job to remove it. If it doesn’t then just pull it out.

Hiya awbcm

Yes its a secondary door as such the porch is like a little room with a nice new hardwood door. Didn't even think about this being a problem as it would for all intense reason now be an internal door. This was done along with a lot of other building work which was passed by the local council as we had to get planning permision. You thoughts on this would be good as to if it would still be a problem.
Thanks for your quick reply and to be honest i have not tried to pull it yet, are they normally just a straight strip then as i was worried it might be T shaped at the bottom under the frame.
If its a real problem i could look at getting a solidwood door and rebating the bottom.
:oops: And yes i have only just thought about this solution :oops:

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back