Sponsored Links
I know this is easy to say, but you should have gone back to the structural engineer to design the whole roof conversion. They probably assumed the old hip was staying in place.
Where information was missing from the plans the builder has obviously done whatever he felt like.
The BCO is bound to want calculations for you desired alterations.
It is common for a roof to required intermediate support and to remove the hip would result in longer purlin spans etc.
Simon.

As mentioned your engineer should have provided enough information to build the roof. If its not there you or your carpenter needs to discuss it with him.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a main contractor or have you sourced the different trades yourself? If managing it yourself you have to know the works inside out and what everyone is doing.

Then really you need to be getting your builder to sort it out, your contract is with him not the carpenter. What does he say?

Well often its easier to just start again than mess about modifying stuff. I'd guess that's where your engineer was coming from. Your carpenter sounds like a complete clown tbh. Sounds like this jobs gonna get worse before it gets better.

Hope the contract is tight!

I'd be having words with Building Control too BTW, make sure they're aware of changes to the drawings rather than take the word of your carpenter. Ultimately it is the householders responsibilty to ensure the works comply with building Regs. What you're describing is not unheard of on here and people can get left in the lurch without a certificate once the builders ridden away.

Was about to call BCO when Joiner phoned. He's coming down tomorrow morning to strip off a bit of sarking so we can see just how much of a "through" we can make safely.

He's being really nice and I'm sure we can come to some sort of compromise.

I'll ask him about his conversation with the BCO at the same time.

Sounds to me like you have added a typical lay roof to the existing roof.

This is what a carpenter is expected to do when faced with extending an existing roof.

The existing roof structure in this instance will likely have to remain.

We were faced with exactly the same scenario on a similar hipped roof last year. The customer presented me with drawings which contradicted what he (verbally) wanted. I told him that the the structural engineer would have to re-design.

We ended up sliding steel purlins through to collect most of the existing roof.

The point is, when the customer told me what he wanted i told him what he needed to do, simple. we had a conversation or ten and things got done.

Did you not have conversations with any of your builders or carpenters? are you running the job or is the builder? Has the builder stuck to his task and built it as per drawing?

Because if he has then you have no argument. His only fault is not pointing out to you that you could not achieve what you wanted by simply fixing the roof to the old one. It is a matter of professional courtesy to point these things out. You should have then reverted back to the architect or structural engineer or both.

As stated, what you need is a major roof overhaul.

So how come this wrong roof never came up in any conversations whilst under construction?

Surely there is an insurmountable difference in the two types of roof??

Were there not alarm bells ringing when you saw that the old roof had not been removed or at least a little bit worried that your builder had not mentioned weatherproofing and all the other things associated with a completely new roof to existing?

Something does not add up here.

The difference in cost alone between the two would run into thousands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back