0845 number.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested in getting an 0845 number ,currently my landline is on permanent divert to my mobile so I pay for all incoming calls however I have caller display which allows me (mostly) to see who is calling me if I have their number stored in my phone.

So my questions are,will I still see who is calling me re the caller display or will I only see the 0845 number displayed on the mobile (if the caller dials that number)and am I better off having the 0845 number diverted to the mobile rather than the landline or doesn't it matter?

I also want to monitor my Yellow pages advert which is the main reason for getting one of these numbers.

TIA.

Cheers,

Tony.

Sponsored Links
I have 2 0871 numbers, yes you still see the caller ID on your phone.

You could also have it set up so that all calls to your 0845 number actually display your 0845 number instead of caller ID, in case you run several businesses and want to answer with a different name to each number.

I don't have my 0871 diverted to my mobile as they then charge extortionate rates (IMHO). Instead they go to my office phone, which then diverts to my mobile if necessary and as it is a BT business line there is a fixed price cap on mobile calls, around 20p I believe.

Dave, I have just been given Call Divert for free by BT (on a Business Line) but have not used it yet. I seem to get a large number of 0800 calls into my land line (according to my Caller Display) so I assume these would be diverted as well costing me 20p each time. :evil: Or would they only be charged if I answered the call and not if I rejected them? Any ideas?

I have 2 0871 numbers, yes you still see the caller ID on your phone.

You could also have it set up so that all calls to your 0845 number actually display your 0845 number instead of caller ID, in case you run several businesses and want to answer with a different name to each number.

I don't have my 0871 diverted to my mobile as they then charge extortionate rates (IMHO). Instead they go to my office phone, which then diverts to my mobile if necessary and as it is a BT business line there is a fixed price cap on mobile calls, around 20p I believe.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting two 0845 numbers to monitor each Ypages ads that I have.

At the moment I don't really know where all of my work comes from (although I do have a decent idea) because I don't always ask the customer but I'm about to significantly increase the amount of money I spend on Ypages on two ads however one is about a third more expensive than the other.

I want to know how many calls each ad generates which will allow me to make a more informed decision next year re the advertising spend than what I am doing at present.

I have looked in Ypages and there seems to be an equal split between 0800 and 0845 numbers advertised.There are people still advertising their landline and mobile numbers which is what I do at the moment but the trend definitely seems to be towards the 0845/0800 numbers.

I don't really think advertising your mobile and landline number this is the way to go now as all it does is confuse the customers whereas one number seems much less cluttered on the ad and I think,more likely that more people will phone from outside of your area than those who will call because you are 'local' to them.

Personally I would always phone a number local to me but with more and more advertisers using these 0845/0800 numbers it is increasingly difficult to find local telephone numbers.

Really,for me,it's a case of if you can't beat them....

Has anyone any recommendations on who/where to get these 0845 numbers from ?

Thanks.

Tony.

Sponsored Links
Dave, I have just been given Call Divert for free by BT (on a Business Line) but have not used it yet. I seem to get a large number of 0800 calls into my land line (according to my Caller Display) so I assume these would be diverted as well costing me 20p each time. :evil: Or would they only be charged if I answered the call and not if I rejected them? Any ideas?

Not 100% sure on this one, but I think if you reject them your landline will get charged at minimum connection cost depending on where the call is sent when you reject ie, eg voicemail etc..

Is there any barring option that you can set to bar non geographic incoming calls?

I hate 0845, 0870 and the like numbers and I think most people do.

Problem is if you have a deal on your home phone then them numbers are still chargeable and are not covered by the deal !!

I personally wont ring them and would rather find a company with a normal geographical number.

Just my opinion mate !!

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
A lot of people use this site ..

I tend to find that local people would rather ring a local number.
the best way to monitor the incoming calls as to where they obtained your number, is the good old fashioned way during the call say"may I ask where you obtained our number" cheap easy and free. if they ask why? just explain!

I find most people tell you without being asked and those who don't don't matter as I have sufficient sample. It isn't worth geting wound up about the statistics of it, worrying you about all this is just a tool of the telesales people.

local people will always call a local dialing code first then a 0800 number hardly anyone now will ring a number like you are talking of wich incurs extra charges.

If you are only doing it for statiustics it will cloud the results as you will get fewer calls because of the number making a nonsense of your stated aim.

[quote="Paul Barker";p="860957"

local people will always call a local dialing code first then a 0800 number hardly anyone now will ring a number like you are talking of wich incurs extra charges.

If you are only doing it for statiustics it will cloud the results as you will get fewer calls because of the number making a nonsense of your stated aim.[/quote]

Some pretty good points there mate that I had never considered.

I think I'm going to stick with my current arrangement which is my landline and mobile numbers.

Thanks to all of replied ,much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony.

I hate 0845, 0870 and the like numbers and I think most people do.

Problem is if you have a deal on your home phone then them numbers are still chargeable and are not covered by the deal !!

I personally wont ring them and would rather find a company with a normal geographical number.

Just my opinion mate !!

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
A lot of people use this site ..

Not just your opinion. I do exactly the same. If I really have to ring a scam number, I immediately ask for a landline number, or ask them to ring me back. My perception is 0800 plumbing numbers are rip-off traders, 0845 maybe, maybe not, 0870 numbers are just greedy. IMO.

Yell.com were giving out free 0800 numbers a while back and they've stopped it, presumably because of the backlash about charges. I just use divert to my mobile from the landline, seems to not be too bad a charge all in all.

Yell.com were giving out free 0800 numbers a while back and they've stopped it, presumably because of the backlash about charges. I just use divert to my mobile from the landline, seems to not be too bad a charge all in all.

I'm on permanent divert ,costs me about £20 a month in call charges.

non geographical numbers?

be carfull if you have one, some people get easily confused and think they have to pay "kerching" amounts of money to call them, I know you don't) but there are websites / pages like this one popping up

non geographical numbers?

be carfull if you have one, some people get easily confused and think they have to pay "kerching" amounts of money to call them, I know you don't) but there are websites / pages like this one popping up

BT have loads,well about four,ads in each classification telling customers the costs of 0854 numbers and informing them that they are local numbers however if you read some of those websites such as the ones posted here then it seems that the call costs vary quite a bit.

The other point which is much more relevant to 0845 numbers,IMO, is the one made above about these numbers not being part of your monthly landline/mobile allowance.

I don't know if you are still watching this thread Tony. Could you drop me an email ************* please, there is something I'd like to discuss off the forum.

Sponsored Links
Back