1/2" BSP hose to isolating valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I connect a 1/2" BSP fitting on a flexible hose (for a cistern) directly to an isolation valve that was connected to a fixed pipe via a 15mm compression fitting?

Will it work without leaks/last?

I know I could do it by leaving a short length of 15mm pipe in place and using a 15mm to 1/2" hose, but there's not a lot of room to maneuver!

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You don't make it very clear what you want to do.

Presumably you have a male thread on the hose and if you unscrew the nut on the iso valve you are likely to get a male similar thread.

So to join them you will need a female to female coupler, know as nipples to the trade. Then connect with plenty of PTFE tape.

Nipples are available with parallel and tapered threads. But only easy to find in the parallel version.

Tony

Errr........ FxF is a socket, Tony.

A nipple is MxM

But I think the OP is referring to the Female of the flex straight onto the male of the isolator.

But as you are a newbie, I am sure we will all forgive you.

Was that bullying?Will I get deleted again?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A lot of jobs are done the way you suggest. However, the iso connector can damage the washer, as it is not a flat. Fit one of these on to the connection, and then the flex.
http://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-fittings-c433/threaded-brass-fittings-1-4-to-4-c312/jtm-brass-tap-tail-extension-piece-m-x-f-7-8-long-pp10604?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=jtm-brass-tap-tail-extension-piece-m-x-f-7-8-quot-long-threaded-brass-3-brass-3-4-10070472pr&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqDF9KzD1QIVUFgNCh2loAt2EAQYAiABEgJ8bvD_BwE

JTM Brass tap tail extension piece M x F 7/8" long
From £0.60 Ex. VAT
£0.72 Inc. VAT
Item in Stock | Usually dispatched within 24 hours

• Not rated yet

Brass tap tail extension piece M x F 7/8" long (Threaded Brass: 3/4") £1.20

Pin It

Last edited:
Ha ha ha:ROFLMAO: Tony - excited about parallel nipples? It's your age, dear.

Yes Neil the threads are the same.
An option is to put a 90º service/isolating valve on the cistern which may be a useful change of direction.
And/or you could put a 15mm street elbow (M & F) into the iso valve you have with a stub of pipe soldered in the F, to connect a standard tap connector flexy to the stub, going to the cistern

The ends of the iso valve fitting where the olive would go, can be very sharp and cut a rubber washer. If sharp, run a file across a few times, but it needs to be square ended.

Thanks for your assistance with this, all. I ended up using a JG flexi connector with a built in 90 degree elbow to avoid any un-necessary strain on the pipe.

http://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/product/15-22mm-braided-hoses/elbow-pattern/

The other end is "speed fit" so installation was a simple as cutting the 15mm (copper) pipe after the iso valve.

Which leads me to one further question...

I've not used speed fit before. It's all in and leak free and I gave the 15mm copper pipe "stub" a good clean before fitting, but I'm still apprehensive about these types of connector. Should I be or am I worrying un-necessarily? The mains pressure in our area is pretty high!

I thought a photo may be helpful so you can see the type of speed fit connecting to the copper.

DSCN0818.JPG

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back