1/4 turn tap drip question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kitchen mixer tap, 1/4 turn type - the hot side has a slight drip - only every now and again, but it could get worse. Having got the cap off, I've noticed it's a disc type tap - and their is a cartridge inside. The tap is probably 15 years old, came with the sink unit. (plastic coated)

Is there anything I can do to stop the drip, ie cleaning the cartridge up or using anything on it? Or will it be new tap time as I don't know the make/model of the tap at all, no name on it whatsoever!

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
you can soak the cartridge overnight in white vinegar if it's scale causing the drip or the cartridge maybe damaged then it's a new cartridge or tap.
have you got a pic of the cartridge. as most are obtainable.

Thanks for your help

I was thinking scale as hot side is low pressure from tank/cylinder and cold is mains and drip is on the hot - I'll try the vinegar tonight. Have got descaler too.

I have no pic, but it is creamy colour, has a long twist type spout. Are there any on line sites that can supply tap parts like showerdoctor does for showers?

Sponsored Links
take the old cartridge out and go with it to your nearest plumbers merchant or DIY shed, it might save you a lot of time if they have one to match. Best to change hot and cold together, as they are the same age. Use PTFE tape on the threads after you have cleaned out the scale.

Thanks JohnD for your help mate

I have taken it out before, and resealed it with the oring and used a bit of silicone grease on it to help it.

I'll get it out again and see if I can get a replacement somehow.

The cold side seems a bit hrd to remove, having just tried now - any tips how to remove the headgear nut without damaging anything?

a big ring spanner or socket of the correct size (not an adjustable wrench) and a strong assistant to hold the tap steady so it is not ripped out of the sink.

If you need to put grips on the tap, first wrap it in elastoplast adhesive tape/strapping to prevent scratches. Unlike rags, it does not slip off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back