1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

1 gang, 1 way switch wiring - explanation please

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by mtomlin, 12 Jan 2021.

1. mtomlin

mtomlin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello, can someone help me understand what is going on here please with this wiring. Its a 1 gang, 1 way switch - but has more wires than I expected.

72C64E39-A4A4-4A11-A610-DE2004E8FE9F.jpeg 66BDEEFB-4A0C-40DA-98DF-55A2144FD45C.jpeg
    My explanation is: there is a live in, circuit out (to next switch in following room) and lights out.

If thats correct, how do I work out which is which? I am assuming COM is live in - so how do I decide the other two in the L1 terminal.

The reason I ask is that I wish to install a Shelly 1 - and need to know where to wire up Output, Input, Switch, Line input and Neutral on the Shelly.

Many thanks!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Correct.

The single wire on its own is the out (assuming only one light fitting in room )

4. mtomlin

mtomlin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your fast response. Are you saying the one brown live wire into the COM terminal is the output to the lights; and therefore by deduction the two brown live wires in the L1 terminal are the live in and live out. From what I've read i though live is always supposed to come into COM. But if Ive understood you correctly, this wiring is the other way round....which I suppose if the whole house is like it, it doesn't matter?

And, yes you are correct - just one light fitting (albeit 6 LEDs linked- ie they all come on together).

Last edited: 12 Jan 2021
  5. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes.

Technically it’s not the normal text book way, but it doesn’t matter

6. mtomlin

mtomlin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Arh, brilliant - that explains a lot - since I've been reading the 'textbooks' and couldn't make head, nor tail of it! Many thanks, appreciate it.

7. RobHJ

RobHJ

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    mtomlin, I've just moved house and I've got the same wiring issue with my wall lights.
    Any chance you could post a pic of your installed Shelly for reference?
    Cheers

8. Sponsored Links