1 gang, 1 way switch wiring - explanation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can someone help me understand what is going on here please with this wiring. Its a 1 gang, 1 way switch - but has more wires than I expected.

72C64E39-A4A4-4A11-A610-DE2004E8FE9F.jpeg
66BDEEFB-4A0C-40DA-98DF-55A2144FD45C.jpeg

My explanation is: there is a live in, circuit out (to next switch in following room) and lights out.

If thats correct, how do I work out which is which? I am assuming COM is live in - so how do I decide the other two in the L1 terminal.

The reason I ask is that I wish to install a Shelly 1 - and need to know where to wire up Output, Input, Switch, Line input and Neutral on the Shelly.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Correct.

The single wire on its own is the out (assuming only one light fitting in room )

Thanks for your fast response. Are you saying the one brown live wire into the COM terminal is the output to the lights; and therefore by deduction the two brown live wires in the L1 terminal are the live in and live out. From what I've read i though live is always supposed to come into COM. But if Ive understood you correctly, this wiring is the other way round....which I suppose if the whole house is like it, it doesn't matter?

And, yes you are correct - just one light fitting (albeit 6 LEDs linked- ie they all come on together).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Arh, brilliant - that explains a lot - since I've been reading the 'textbooks' and couldn't make head, nor tail of it! Many thanks, appreciate it.

mtomlin, I've just moved house and I've got the same wiring issue with my wall lights.
Any chance you could post a pic of your installed Shelly for reference?
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back