Figuring out lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to figure out some lighting wiring.

This is a 4 gang switch I have at the base of my stairs.

IMG_20210803_191222.jpg

Running from left to right:
Switch 1 - two way switch for landing: Grey wire with brown sheathing - L2, Brown - L1, Black with brown sheathing - COM
Switch 2 - Another two way switch for lounge: Same as switch 1
Switch 3 - Hall light: Brown - COM, Brown - L1
Switch 4 - Porch light: 2 blue wires+ grey with blue sheathing - Loop, brown - COM, Brown with brown sheathing - L1

Now switch 1 and 2 on the left are both 2 way switches, but I am a bit confused what is happening with the others - There is some looping going on (but only neutral?) and 3 and 4 are sharing a live on their commons (assuming the colours are correct)

What is odd is that at the ceiling roses there is no looping going on - The hall light, porch light and lounge lights all have a single twin and earth dropping down.

I guess there must be some junction boxes hidden in the ceiling somewhere, but I just can't get my head around how it might be wired! I've looked at some guides online but it seems that there is a bit of a mashup going on here.

The reason for all this is I was looking at adding a few shelly L1's to be able to control some of the lights.

At a guess I can use the COM on 3/4 as a Live for the shelly, N Loop as a neutral and the switched live of the light I want to control go to the output on the shelly.

Sponsored Links
Neither can I from the picture, some manufacturers use same casing for a range of switches, so with a grid switch one may be a on/off, next two way, next intermediate, and next double pole. Not saying that is what you have, but does look as if right hand switch is a double pole and two left hand switches two way and remaining switch on/off which is easy to do with grid switches.

The switch is a Hager, each gang has four connections, com, loop, l1, l2 I believe.

I think I have figured out what is going on though now. If we focus on the 2 right hand switches I think there is a live and neutral supply cable coming down to the switch and then a cable for each light. So the 3 neutrals are 1 for each light and the supply one. The supply live is shared and you are left with 2 switched lives for each switch on the right.

The switch is a Hager, each gang has four connections, com, loop, l1, l2 I believe.

I think I have figured out what is going on though now. If we focus on the 2 right hand switches I think there is a live and neutral supply cable coming down to the switch and then a cable for each light. So the 3 neutrals are 1 for each light and the supply one. The supply live is shared and you are left with 2 switched lives for each switch on the right.
Yes
All that's happened is the installer has used a 'spare' terminal for the neutral junction.
A method which will be frowned upon by some on here.

Sponsored Links
What you have are Hager switches with a neutral loop connection. Used for having the neutral at the switches as many new lighting fittings do not have a facility for 3 plate wiring.
So basically you have standard two way light switches with an extra connection for neutral loops. Dangerous in the wrong hands.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="SUNRAY, post: 5108162, member: 124249"

A method which will be frowned upon by some on here.[/QUOTE]
Why. That is what it is for. It is even labelled loop.

Looking at this now on a better screen I can see the 'N LOOP' marking so yes this is totally pukka.

Not being able to read the markings earlier (as I suspect was also the case with Eric, from his comment) I fell into the trap of assuming these are intermediate switches, and added to that I saw mention of intermediates.

My apologies for my error and thanks to to others for correcting the information. to OP

Looking at this now on a better screen I can see the 'N LOOP' marking so yes this is totally pukka.

Not being able to read the markings earlier (as I suspect was also the case with Eric, from his comment) I fell into the trap of assuming these are intermediate switches, and added to that I saw mention of intermediates.

My apologies for my error and thanks to to others for correcting the information. to OP
I have seen, and I think this may be what you were talking about earlier, people using a 'live' terminal on a switch to accommodate the neutral.

For example - a 2 way switch used for 1 way operation.
one switch live in COM
one permanent live in L1
both neutrals in L2.

It doesn't blow the fuse, as the switch will be in two states;
switch live and perm live making contact, light comes on.
switch live and neutral making contact - won't blow the fuse, light is off.

Think this is the kind of thing you were referring to, a very lazy, yet still quite clever, way of joining the neutrals if you haven't got a connector block.

I have seen, and I think this may be what you were talking about earlier, people using a 'live' terminal on a switch to accommodate the neutral.

For example - a 2 way switch used for 1 way operation.
one switch live in COM
one permanent live in L1
both neutrals in L2.

It doesn't blow the fuse, as the switch will be in two states;
switch live and perm live making contact, light comes on.
switch live and neutral making contact - won't blow the fuse, light is off.

Think this is the kind of thing you were referring to, a very lazy, yet still quite clever, way of joining the neutrals if you haven't got a connector block.
Yes that is precisely the way I thought it had been wired, however when I viewed it on a phone it looked like intermediate switches. It's actually a fairly common method however I've seen it condemmed a few time on this forum a dangerous as some seem to think the L1 & L2 can arc across..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back