3 Gang 2 way Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Firstly, just to let you know that I havent just posted looking for someone to tell me the answer without even looking for it !

I've spent ages reading up on the internet and looking at wiring diagrams but can't find my answer.

I've also looked at the how to's on here and couldnt get my head around it.

I live in a new build Taylor Wimpey House and wanted to replace all the light switches and sockets. I've done all of them all ok with no problems at all but I'm confused with my triple switches.

Firstly, I'm not sure If I'm using the correct terminology. I have 2 Triple Switches downstairs. I in the kitchen, 1 in the front room.

Each switch individually controls 2 lights and then both control the light in the hall way.

I've wired them up the same way that Taylor Wimpey did but its not working properly.

As individual switches they both work and turn on and off the 3 lights that they are responsible for.

The trouble is the light in the hallway.

If I have the light in the hallway turned on from the kitchen, then you can't turn it off from the front room but also one of the lights in the front room stops working (can't turn it on or off)

You then turn the light off using the kitchen switch and then you can use the other triple switch with no problem.

The way I have the kitchen switch wired up is (Which is how TW had it wired up)

Light 1 - (Brown wire ) in L1 - (2 * Brown wires + 1 * Brown wire looped into L2 for Light 2) in Com

Light 2 - Light for Hallway - (Brown wire ) in Com - (Black wire with Brown Sleeve + Brown wire ) in L1 and (Grey wire with Brown Sleeve + Brown wire looped from L1 for Light 1 + Brown wire looped into Com for Light3) in L2

Light 3 - (Brown wire looped from L2 for Light 2) in Com and Brown Wire in L1

The way I have the front room switch wired up is (Which is how TW had it wired up)

Light 1 - (Brown wire) in Com - (Black wire with Brown Sleeve) in L1 (Grey Wire with Brown Sleeve) in L2

Light 2 - (Brown wire and Brown wire looped in Com for Light 3) in Com - (Brown Wire) in L1

Light 3 - (Brown wire and Brown wire looped from Com for Light 2) in Com - Black wire with Brown Sleeve) in L1

Light 3 is the hallway light but I'm sure that previously Light 1 controlled the hallway light -

To be honest, previously I just swapped over the other light switches with not even thinking about anything, just making sure that I put the cable in the same place that they were in the old switch. I've know read up and understand about how a switch works but I'm confused with the wires that have been looped and so many brown wires!!! Also I have no idea why I have two black wires with Brown Sleeves in the front room switch - one going to Light 1 and one to Light 3

If you havent lost the will to live......Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Kitchen switch
Light 2 - Light for Hallway - (Brown wire ) in Com - (Black wire with Brown Sleeve + Brown wire ) in L1 and (Grey wire with Brown Sleeve + Brown wire looped from L1 for Light 1 + Brown wire looped into Com for Light3) in L2

Front room switch
Light 1 - (Brown wire) in Com - (Black wire with Brown Sleeve) in L1 (Grey Wire with Brown Sleeve) in L2

First step.

At the front room switch:
Do the three wires come from the same cable?

No for Light 1 in the front room, it looks like each wire comes form a different cable

Then I fear you have confused and mixed some or all of the wires.

Other than hours of posting and testing, I think you need an electrician.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for that - but can you tell me which wires should be in the light which is controlled by both switches.

All the wiring diagrams I can find talk about an intermediate which has L1 and L2 at both the top and the bottom - However my triple switches Com 1 at the top and L1/L2 at the bottom for the two edge lights and L1/L2 at the top and Com at the bottom for the middle light.

I understand that for a basic light you need a wire in Com and then one in L1 leaving L2 empty but I can't find a diagram for a shared light -

I'm assuming (from a non technical background) that as I have wires in both L1 and L2 on mine - when the switch is off, then the electric will go to L2 and then when the switch is on it goes to L1 but I can't use the logic to work out what happens with the next light (ie the one in the front room if that makes sense? )

This is a usual two-way circuit.
Intermediates are only used for three-way or more.

upload_2015-12-8_12-11-14.png

I do think you are using 'light' where you should be using 'switch' which is confusing.

You are a star !!!!

Just re-read your email and in the front room I swapped the two black wires with a brown sleeve around so that in Light 1 two of the wires came from the same cable and bingo - it worked !!

If you need any advice on lighting circuits, just let me know !!!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back