Errors in replacing a light switch - need some help please

What voltage tester do you have ,and is there voltages present on any of the conductors ?

Hi Terry, I have this voltage tester but I am have only used it on computer equipment.

Attachments

• Tester.jpg
    Tester.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Are your pictures of two different switches?

Its really confusing because it seems you have got pictures of the old switch and the new switch.

Would it be better for me to separate all the wires, take a picture of them and then upload them, with a picture of the switch I am using?

Which switch have you got attached at the moment?

The one with two separate switch modules?

Have you got mains voltage between the terminal with 3 browns and the separate terminal block?

Sponsored Links
As you would be working on a live mains circuit , do you know how to safely measure mains voltages ?

I think I'm correct in my original diagnosis that you had the wires in the COMs the wrong way round.

The group of browns goes in the COM on the LHS of the switch. The black wire that belongs to the cable with the grey attached to the neutral terminal block, that goes to the L1 terminal on the LHS of the switch.

That should leave the brown, black and grey (all from the other 3 core cable sheath) to go to the RHS switch terminals.

The 3 brown wires that are twisted together ,I assume they were all twisted together originally ,and you haven't mixed them up at any time ?
They need to be cut ,re stripped,and put into one gangs COM terminal.
On the left of your pic there is a grey sheath with a brown ,black ,grey and earth, that's the two way strapper.
Put those three into the second gang ,brown to com ,black and grey to L1and L2.
That leaves one black ,put that in L1 on the the first gang ( the switch with the 3 browns in COM.

The 3 brown wires that are twisted together ,I assume they were all twisted together originally ,and you haven't mixed them up at any time ?
They need to be cut ,re stripped,and put into one gangs COM terminal.
On the left of your pic there is a grey sheath with a brown ,black ,grey and earth, that's the two way strapper.
Put those three into the second gang ,brown to com ,black and grey to L1and L2.
That leaves one black ,put that in L1 on the the first gang ( the switch with the 3 browns in COM.

Thanks Terry, I have tried what you have written above and still nothing, god know what I have done but no ground floor lights are working and nothing tripping from the main switch.

I think I'm correct in my original diagnosis that you had the wires in the COMs the wrong way round.

The group of browns goes in the COM on the LHS of the switch. The black wire that belongs to the cable with the grey attached to the neutral terminal block, that goes to the L1 terminal on the LHS of the switch.

That should leave the brown, black and grey (all from the other 3 core cable sheath) to go to the RHS switch terminals.

Thanks Securespark, I have tried the advice above and still nothing, what else could I have done wrong? No lights on the ground floor are working.

Did you get a reading across live and neutral?

Have any trip switches or fuses gone open circuit?

Have you changed any light fittings at all?

Rewind to the last time these lights were working. When was that?

The only other thing I can think of is the supply to that hall switch has gone open circuit due to a loose connection down the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back