Explain how these lights are wired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a single light switch in my hall which works the single light above it and I have a double switch at the bottom of the stairs which worked the stair lights but the second switch works the upstairs hall light. Now I dropped a new 3 and e from the pendant to the light switch and wired this as brown- live, grey- neutral, black switched live and marked them up. Now the old 2 and e has the red into com on this switch. Wiring is old blue and new switch wire black red tape - L2, new live-brown & old yellow L1, lights work as they should, first photo hall switch, other two of the bottom stair switch, just want to understand how they work BFCA977A-942B-4A02-BF22-3B41301C28EA.jpeg77217713-4288-4C90-8F00-B87D4B03D2BF.jpegED53D920-B2AA-4F13-A6F3-AEB4CB2F1510.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thanks will that still be the same for the 2 lamps as it’s not 2 way in the strict sense as I can’t control the downstairs lights from upstairs but can control upstairs from downstairs

One of your switches is wired for two way operation, the other is just a single switch for the downstairs light. You should be able to work out which is which from the information that has been given.

Sponsored Links
Your wire connections to the switch terminals look very poor.

The wire should be under the screw, not along side it.

You should strip a few extra millimetres of insulation off the wires, and fold the ends over double, so there is more copper for the screw to grip to.

Your wire connections to the switch terminals look very poor.

The wire should be under the screw, not along side it.

You should strip a few extra millimetres of insulation off the wires, and fold the ends over double, so there is more copper for the screw to grip to.
Not my wiring council switch and yes I always fold over the ends unless there is no room

Thanks everyone for the help I am going to try trimming the lip of the back box tomorrow as that seems the easiest to try first and see how the faceplates fit.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back