1 radiator not working......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The System is a combi boiler and holds 8 rads of it, 7 work fine and 1 wont heat up. Radiator bleeds fine so water in it but just doesnt heat up in the slightest, not even the flow pipe to the radiator. We have trvs on the rads so was wondering what probable causes could be???

Took the head of the trv and the pin wont push down so could it be that as i thought at least the pipe would still get hot then no heat past the trv.

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The pin won`t push down becuase it is probably already stuck down, try compressing the pin down with a wide bladed screw driver and then slide the screw driver off of the pin several times, this should make the pin bounce up.

Sponsored Links
the pin is definately stiff, i tried to push it down with no success but dont fancy pulling the pin out just incase.

Is it common that the pipe would stay cold also if the pin is stuck? i just assumed the pipe would get hot and then the heat stops at the trv??

Is it common that the pipe would stay cold also if the pin is stuck? i just assumed the pipe would get hot and then the heat stops at the trv??

Depends how far the valve is from the flow pipe carrying hot water to your other radiators: if the hot water isn't moving through the valve, it won't be moving through the pipe connected to it either.

i understand what u mean with the pipe to the trv. Il try to tap the pin etc again see if i get any luck. If not i know the trv will need changing, so what are the options on replacing the trv ie. drain down system or use pipe freeze spray as it will only take a couple of mins to swap the valve (hopefully)

I know drain down is the safest method but it can be more time consuming and i must admit iv never tried to snatch it or use pipe freeze spray.

advice...

i understand what u mean with the pipe to the trv. Il try to tap the pin etc again see if i get any luck. If not i know the trv will need changing, so what are the options on replacing the trv ie. drain down system or use pipe freeze spray as it will only take a couple of mins to swap the valve (hopefully)

I know drain down is the safest method but it can be more time consuming and i must admit iv never tried to snatch it or use pipe freeze spray.

advice...

On a combi draining down is more or less instant (just 30 seconds to release the pressure) then just a couple of old towels around the valve to soak up drips.
No problem!
I would think about fitting a good quality manual valve instead of a TRV (they are all rubbish)!
servotech,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back