1 way 2 gang dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced standard 1 way 2 gang light switch with equivalent 250w dimmer. This is lineked to 2 ceiling lights, each with 5 60w candle bulbs.

I copied the wires over exactly but I did notice that the red wire linking the two transformers was thinner than standard.

However the lights worked fine for the first day, but then one set of lights (furthest away) started to flicker, usually when on near or full power, they then automatically dimmed, you can power them back up again but they continue to flicker until you reduce the power.

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind up?

You don't need Ohm's law here -just add up the figures. You have

( 5 x 60W ) x 2 = 600W

A 250W dimmer controlling 600W of lighting?

Didn't you wonder about that when you bought it???

You need a 600W dimmer (MK?) or tlc do a one gang 1kW dimmer. Check what box depth is required - it'll need a bit to dissipate all the heat generated by the dimmer.

Sorry, I assumed that as this appeared to be the only choice it would do the job, not an expert. Is the 250w per gang? What I'm thinking is changing the bulbs for 40watt, then that would be 200 watt per light/gang, Am I on the right track?

securespark said:
Is this a wind up?

You don't need Ohm's law here -just add up the figures. You have

( 5 x 60W ) x 2 = 600W

A 250W dimmer controlling 600W of lighting?

Didn't you wonder about that when you bought it???

You need a 600W dimmer (MK?) or tlc do a one gang 1kW dimmer. Check what box depth is required - it'll need a bit to dissipate all the heat generated by the dimmer.
:oops:

Sponsored Links
Apologies due in part...I missed the 2 gang bit.....

300W per gang - need 400W dimmer, unless they are GU10's in which case you need to derate by 50%. Ie if your total load per gang is 300W GU10, then you need a dimmer capable of switching 450W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back