2-Way Dimmer switch controlling 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have 2 stairway/landing lights controlled by 2-way switching. I purchased a 2-way dimmer switch and wired it in what I thought was the same way as the 2-way switch.

So I had 1 wire (common) in the AC symbol connection.
2 wires into L1 (incl. switching live)
2 wires into L2

Initially, I mistakenly used energy saving bulbs. These worked OK with minimum resistance, but flickered at high resistance. I changed these for what I think are 40W candle bulbs. This worked OK for a few days, they then just seemed to flicker and stop working.

I checked one of the bulbs, which was working fine in another fitting.
I looked at other dimmer switches and observed the multi-bulb power ratings, typically 60-250W or 60-400W. I tried a 70W Phillips EcoClassic30 bulb in one of the fittings. This made no difference.

I have replaced the dimmer with a new 2-way switch and the system works fine. So the problem has to be the dimmer or my wiring?

1- Am I using bulbs with a power rating too low? Do I need both bulbs to be 60W or more?
2- Am I using the wrong dimmer, should I be using a 2-way 2-gang. If the later will I need to add a bridging wire between the two commons?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back