10.5 delux Gainsborough shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 10.5 delux Gainsborough shower will not heat. Power supply checked & OK.

Does this unit have a safety cut off which I need to reset ?

Can I replace the shower with a lower 9.5w using the 10mm wiring used for the 10.5w shower

What other type / brands of electric shower can be fitted without disturbing the existing water pipe / electrics ? ie I dont want to remove any tiles / pipes / cables

Sponsored Links
Can I replace the shower with a lower 9.5w using the 10mm wiring used for the 10.5w shower

Provided the 10mm isn't the reason it failed in the 1st place.

Having googled the shower it appears to be sheet (or a word very close sounding).

I'd suggest you re-post the plumbing based questions in the correct DIYnot sub forum.

the delux isn't repairable.
providing its getting power and the water is flowing but only cold its a new engine as these are a sealed unit.

Thanks for your help. Would a 9.5 w Shower electrical connections accept the 10mm cable previously used for the higher watt shower

Sponsored Links
The OP appears not to have checked the circuit, so there is a slight chance that the circuit could have failed.

At no point has he referenced the CU protection, or confirmed that the isolation for the circuit hasn't failed.

All that has been suggested is that the shower unit has failed, which although likely isn't the only possibility.

So if you went on this fault as a call out, would you 'just' assume a shower unit failure or might you consider that a circuit failure, a knackered isolator switch / pull cord or even a failed MCB / RCBO could cause a shower to be electrically dead ?

Power supply checked & OK.
The OP appears not to have checked the circuit, so there is a slight chance that the circuit could have failed.
So what's your interpretation of the words "power supply", which he used in his opening post?

Power supply checked & OK.
At no point has he referenced the CU protection, or confirmed that the isolation for the circuit hasn't failed.
So what's your interpretation of the words "checked & OK", which he used in his opening post?

All that has been suggested is that the shower unit has failed, which although likely isn't the only possibility.

So if you went on this fault as a call out, would you 'just' assume a shower unit failure or might you consider that a circuit failure, a knackered isolator switch / pull cord or even a failed MCB / RCBO could cause a shower to be electrically dead ?
I would consider all possibilities, and make no assumptions.

But that's because I know what I'm doing, instead of pretending to know.

What would be a big help would be to know if that shower has a solenoid valve, and if water does come out of the shower when it's turned on.

If the answers are 'yes' and 'yes' that would be a good indication that the circuit is not to blame.

He says it doesn't heat, which to me would imply it at least issues water. So likely an internal fault.

Those Gainsborough showers do not have a solenoid, the water flow is controlled by the button which is just a mechanical valve. Water will flow even if there is no power to the unit.

What other type / brands of electric shower can be fitted without disturbing the existing water pipe / electrics ? ie I dont want to remove any tiles / pipes / cables
Personally I would go for the Mira Sport thermostatic. They're well made, and easy to maintain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back