10 or 12mm PIR insulation board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I have asked this question in the narrative of a separate thread but I suspect it will be missed and I could really do with an answer.

I am seeking a 10 or 12mm PIR insulation board to use to reduce cold bridging in a space where there is little room for a reduction in head height as well as reveals around a couple of Velux windows. Celotex used to do a 12mm board in the form of TB4012 but this appears to be discontinued with their thinnest offering now 20mm.

Could anyone please advise of possible alternatives?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Only thing I can think of at 10mm+ is XPS insulation boards or STS boards.

Not sure how cost effective it will bet depending on area you are doing.

Only thing I can think of at 10mm+ is XPS insulation boards or STS boards.

Not sure how cost effective it will bet depending on area you are doing.
Thank you.

Any reason why XPS wouldn't achieve the same objective as PIR? Vapour barrier will be in the form of foil tape before this layer so hopefully no issues there. It's a dormer room over a garage so not a huge space. This would only be used on ceiling (with 120mm PIR between rafters above it) and on pitched room section (with 100mm PIR above).

I don't think XPS is quite as good as PIR. (others may confirm)

If you can spare the room I'd use 20mm PIR, it's double foil backed and can be taped-up to form a VCL, it's probably cheaper as well.

Sponsored Links
If you really need the 10mm, then perhaps the 10mm STS tile backer board https://www.sts-uk.com/tiling-preparation/professional-tile-backing-board , as per @Mr Chibs suggestion

Thermal conductivity 0.034 Watt/mK. For comparison, 20mm of celotex is 0.022W/mK.

[Edit]

XPS is 0.035W/mk. So get the cheapest

1670750700591.png

Last edited:
Have a look at Marmox- can't remember the U or R values but it's much better than plasterboard, def available in 12.5mm and thinner.

Edit:
Apologies, the TP link I posted had a misleading product description :(

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back