1000V Megger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to get hold of a 1000V megger to test the windings of an alternator from a generator. As I am not really looking for calibrated accuracy, typically the windings will pass or fail obviously. Would a cheaper unit like this one on ebay be sufficient? This will be for occasional not everyday use.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
It's up to you, you pay your money and take your chance with stuff like that. If you connect it across a live circuit it may take your hand off but at least you save a few quid.

For fault finding and anytime I need to test at lots of different points, I much prefer an analogue meter as the readout is almost instant and you can see at a glance if something is ok/not ok. I wouldn't be without my Robin analogue insulation tester. They stop working if you drop them from a height though. :oops:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
My Megger 1552 is an absolute beast. It was second hand on eBay about 5 years ago and it's been dropped many times, a few from height and keeps going. It works SO much better than Fluke 1652s that are about 5 years newer.

I couldn't recommend a tester more highly, and you can pick them up reasonably cheap on eBay now.

Sponsored Links
I am looking to get hold of a 1000V megger to test the windings of an alternator from a generator. As I am not really looking for calibrated accuracy, typically the windings will pass or fail obviously. Would a cheaper unit like this one on ebay be sufficient? This will be for occasional not everyday use.
Rules For Buying Tools

1. Buy the best you can afford, not the cheapest you can find.

2. There is no Rule 2.

I've got a bm500a which is even cheaper than the one you link to. Seems to work fine. I've tested it on some resistors and on some cable that was tested with a very expensive meter and it was spot on. I'm sure it's not good enough for a pro issuing certification but for basic testing and fault finding it does the job.

It doesn't have any category rating so I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I'll stick with reputable brands such as Megger, Fluke, Metrel and the likes. I think my Megger 1552 is CAT III but the newer 1700 series ones I believe are IV.

(Robin are now owned by fluke iirc)

Last edited:
I have a Megger BM10 which I inherited from dad. Analogue, does up to 1000V, and being analogue gives immediate and trend indications. I see there's a BM12 on eBay which I suspect may be very similar.
When the test button isn't pressed, the meter is a voltmeter so it won't go bang if connected to something live - it'll just show your the voltage on the circuit.

For circuits with capacitance, the BM10 will easily manage it as you just hold the button and watch the meter drop back as the caps charge. My MFT just gives a completely false (low) reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back