Testing equipment for MEIW Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again:)

You guys were really helpfull before i was hoping for a bit more advice, i am retraining as a domestic installer and am planning to do my Part P in september to help spread the costs out i am starting to compile some tools and testers etc. in advance of this.

Furthur to my last question regarding testing for issuing a MEIW certificate would i be right in believing i would need the following tools:

Continuity (I have a Megger AVO310)
Insulation Resistance (Megger AVO310??)
Polarity (I have a Socket & See Socket Tester with polarity checker)
Earth Loop Impedance (Megger AVO310??)
RCD (I have a Seaward RC750 RCD Tester)

As you can see i am unsure of what testers are needed for Insulation resistance and earth loop impedance, if the testers i have arent suitable please can you suggest some suitable testers edging on the side of economy priced please:)

Please note i have no intention of using these tools until i have suitable training and confidence to use them safely, like i said before i am just compiling a kit in advance to save shelling out all at the same time.

Thanks Ricky

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys.
Can someone give me a bit more information on the Multimeter, so would i be right in believing that the only thing the multimeter would be used for on the meiw certificate tests would be for continuity.

What other uses does the multimeter have? what would i be using it for it also refers to having a resistance measurement facility in ohms judging by your replys this is not insulation resistance.

Help please people:)

It isn't all that much use for electrical installation testing, I think all of the MFTs and most of the Insulation Resistance testers have a continuity setting on them which is more suited to installation work.
A multimeter it is fine for doing things like voltage measurements (not for Isolation purposes tho), testing for continuity, electronics diode checking, resistance measuring, current measurements (need it connected in series to do that - you need to be very carefull and always unplug the leads straight after use.)

insulation resistance meters apply 250, 500 and 1000V to the cables being tested to see if the insulation is breaking down..
resistance meters put a few volts along a cable / resistor and calculates the resistance by the amout of voltage it gets back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back