100ft Garden on 3-4 levels, can anything be done about it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am shopping for a new house and we found a house we really like for hte right price, however the house sits on a high slope to the front and at the back, the garden steeps up.

When you open the kitchen door out to the garden, you get a concrete set of steps for the first level, which is about 15 foot long, then you walk forwards a bit, you reach another 2 sets of steps onto the second level, which is a concreted patio area, then onto the 3rd level which is proper green and then steeps up to the end of hte garden.

I was wondering whether its possible to spread the earth from the end of the garden further down to try to level it a bit. I am just worried that with little kids and not having a flat graden, you always worry they will fall down.

First staircase as soon as you come out of the kitchen
View media item 75112
Second level

View media item 75113
Kitchen/Garden.
View media item 75117Any advice please

Sponsored Links
If you are worried about safety I would look for other things you can do to improve the situation e.g. handrails for steps and other kinds of railings where there are significant drops.

How long will there be little kids around? You need to consider whether you would get large scale alterations finished while the kids will be small, especially if there are other things to be seen to inside the house.

The other thing is, kids can fall on flat ground as well :LOL:

Its certainly possible but probably very expensive. Retaining walls are expensive and people often forget you need to deal with your neighbours boundaries too so end up building retaining walls to retain their garden if you flatten yours out.

You really need to get some local landscapers in to see it and give you a quote as access and lots of other details are critical and can only be seen on site

Sponsored Links
Am I missing something here? Your garden is currently terraced to give you flat level areas. If you "spread the earth" around a bit won't you then have a sloping garden?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back