Excavation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to partially level my garden and also excavate a fair amount of soil in order to build a wall (i.e. change a relatively steep slope to a step down design). There is probably around 5-10 tonnes of earth to move. Obvious answer is to hire a JCB Micro (or similar)

However, road access is from the front of the house and the only way down to the garden is via an external concrete staircase (probably 14 steps). I have investigated hiring a JCB Micro, but the front protector on the JCB and steepness of the staircase make this difficult. There is also the tipping risk as well!!

So, question I have is can anyone suggest an efficient way of excavating this earth? My options now are to crane lift a digger over the house (expensive), or to dig it by hand (time consuming). I am happy enough to do the manual work, but recognise that it will take a long time.

Sponsored Links
ask a local digger company (one man and his digger type advert) to come and have a look at it and do a quote. He may well be able to get one in where you dont think it will go. Other options are a rotovator to break it up and sheer hard work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back