Sponsored Links
this is a flat where a yale :rolleyes: lock has been kicked in? Or a bad-tempered child has thrown himself against the door?

Do you mind it happening again, or do you want a burglar-resistant lock instead?

Decide this because it will affect what you want done.

Any local locksmith or joiner will do it in his sleep. Look for an established independent person rather than one of the franchise chains if you can.

Or you can do it youself
see http://www.videojug.com/search?keywords=fitting+a yale lock

you can screw a replacment strip of wood into the frame. you will probably find that the lock has been kicked in several times before, and the frame repaired. Yale-type nightlatches are like that. However they are quite good at preventing the door blowing open in a strong wind.

your picture shows two useful things:

A much larger steel staple provided with the lock. The better Yale locks (to the British standard) that you find in the DIY sheds or at locksmiths have this , instead of the little metal staple provided with traditional nightlatches, which appears to me to be designed to pop off without much difficulty.

The big Yale used to be called a Titan, I will see if I can find a pic

Your picture also shows a reinforcing strip. these are also available under the Kickstop of Lockguard brands. the problem here is that it only starts to give reinforcement after the lock's staple has started to give way.

A mortice latch is generally preferred as it is stronger. In my own house I use a Chubb 3R35 which would probably cost you £100 or more fitted (you will see one on the front door of almost every high-street bank) but it does not meet the British standard and ought to be used in conjunction with a deadlock (if you have plenty of money you can get a matching one operated by the same key, but you can guess this will be expensive).

I'm not a locksmith so don't know what else to recommend, but there should be someone else along more in touch with the market. there is probably a Eurolock thing though I'm not very keen on them myself.

Banham, Ingersoll and Chubb make some very good locks. not cheap though.

A big staple like this, secured with long screws to a sound frame, will be much more resistant to being forced open.
l2000c%20070108.gif

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back