10mm Cable Capacity.

I agree, and I did not say that the nice example you posted is wrong. I am just concerned that this is a DIY forum, and the advice have to be practical and simple so people can follow...

Agree wholeheartedly but to carry out any DIY electrics some basic understanding is required. I know it's not rocket science but ....... I make good living out of people who thought they would dabble with electrics.
Yep sounds familiar, I worked as an engineer for 30 years, making a good living from HI-Tech machines that 'never go wrong...' The problem I see is that a bit of knowledge can be sometimes not safe that is why I said that the advice must be on the safe side. With the proper knowledge you do your risk aassesment and have a margin to work with...

Sponsored Links
First Post.

Having read the thread, I think to many are using calculations based on the assumed voltage, the power rating stated on the shower etc.

The key thing, is the on-site installation.

How long is the cable run, big factor in cable size.

Is it clipped direct or in trunking, in trunking will de-rate cable.

Protection - Mcb or Cartridge, makes a difference !!

ZE at origin, effects true calculation.

Over the years I have seen cables installed on many installations that are oversized, which costs the client unnecessary expense.

However I have also seen a 9.5kW Shower wired in 6.0mm connected to the bathroom light wired in 1.0mm and the 5A rewirable fuse wire changed to 30A fuse wire. It had been use for 18 months. :eek: no signs of overheating ????

I have been in the trade 35 years and seen a lot of diy working but not right, have been self employed Electrical Contractor for the last 21 years.

Seems like an interesting forum.

Nothing is wrong in what you said...but if you expect a notifiable job like this one to be done by a DIY'er you cannot ask him to check the Ze, Zs, Continuity etc. because he will not have the knowledge and the tools to do it. Therefore IMO when someone who is not a pro is asking a question regarding a job, he wants it ither because he want to check on the electrician or wants to do it himself and wants to use the correct size cable, MCB etc. I am going back to what I said before, we have to advice on the safe side, what is the extra price of an oversized cable comparing with a house on fire or someones life..?

BTW - Welcome

Nothing is wrong in what you said...but if you expect a notifiable job like this one to be done by a DIY'er you cannot ask him to check the Ze, Zs, Continuity etc. because he will not have the knowledge and the tools to do it. Therefore IMO when someone who is not a pro is asking a question regarding a job, he wants it ither because he want to check on the electrician or wants to do it himself and wants to use the correct size cable, MCB etc. I am going back to what I said before, we have to advice on the safe side, what is the extra price of an oversized cable comparing with a house on fire or someones life..?

BTW - Welcome

Albert

Point taken :D

Better left for the pro though in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Nothing is wrong in what you said...but if you expect a notifiable job like this one to be done by a DIY'er you cannot ask him to check the Ze, Zs, Continuity etc. because he will not have the knowledge and the tools to do it.

Actually that's a generalisation. A serious DIYer may well have both the knowledge and equipment required. But the point is well made, nevertheless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back