INSTALLING A SHOWER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new shower unit (Mira Sport Max 10.8kW) Can anyone advise me about uprating the consumer units' MCB (Crabtree Starbreaker). After reading some info it sounds as if I am required to fit an RCBO (50 amps) is this a simple task or can I getaway with uprating the existing MCB from 40 to 50 amps? Also I notice on RCBO's there is wiring to connect, does this require an expert? Finally, if the existing cable is only 10mm2 & 16mm2 is required, can I getawy with 10mm2 to run a 10.8 amps shower, or is it too risky? Thank you all.

Sponsored Links
I want to install a new shower unit (Mira Sport Max 10.8kW) Can anyone advise me about uprating the consumer units' MCB (Crabtree Starbreaker). After reading some info it sounds as if I am required to fit an RCBO (50 amps) is this a simple task or can I getaway with uprating the existing MCB from 40 to 50 amps?
Is the section of the CU where the MCB would go RCD protected?

If not you'll need an RCBO.

Also I notice on RCBO's there is wiring to connect, does this require an expert?
There's wiring to connect to MCBs as well - not sure what your concern is?

Finally, if the existing cable is only 10mm2 & 16mm2 is required, can I getawy with 10mm2 to run a 10.8 amps shower, or is it too risky?
You should also read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

If you post a picture of the DB, we will be able to confirm whether the way supplying the shower is rcd protected or not

Sponsored Links
Consumer unit. I have added pics.
No you haven't. But I'll do it for you View media item 28967
There....

So the shower is on the RCD side of the board. So far, so good.

Now, how have you measured the size of the conductors in the cable feeding the shower?? I will bet they are 6mm² so 40A will the largest cb you can have on that sized cable.

Haven't measured the size of the conductors feeding the shower; please advise TTC. Thanks for your patients TTC.

that doesnt look like 10mm to me could be 6mm or even 4mm! job to know... are there no markings on the outer sheath of the cable?

It will require a new cable 10mm. I will leave it to the experts. Thanx for your help & advise.

If I installed a 10.8kW electric shower with 6mm2 cable instead of the correct size 10mm2 & the correct loading MCB, is it a dead cert the cable will overheat & burn the house down? How easy is it to chase the existing cable (6mm2 with the correct size (16mm2). The property is a newish build 10 years old Bellway; would this be a bu**er to do, or should I leave the whole job to an expert? Thanx.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back