10mm cable for shower - Why?

And there was me thinking that if two conductors have the same electrical potential, the potential difference is zero. And thus there is no energy transfer (First law of thermodynamics). And thus there is no relevance to power or power factors. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I suppose if manufacturers made these shower units with switches, thermostats and wiring that were far more substantial, the units would last forever and put electricians and plumbers and shower manufacturers ( and myself )out of business.Washing machines,dishwahers etc have all suffered from vastly underated components which are designed to fail just after the guarantee expires .Watchdog cant always be wrong. I blame Maggy Thatcher, I dont know why,but my dad always did, so it must be her fault.Ha Ha

AdamW said:
And there was me thinking that if two conductors have the same electrical potential, the potential difference is zero. And thus there is no energy transfer (First law of thermodynamics). And thus there is no relevance to power or power factors. :LOL:

Don't menion thermodynamic laws. I have a running argument with someone (a creationist) who argues that evolution violates the the 2nd law. I have explained, in vain, that it doesn't.

AdamW said:

Adam, whilst the potential difference between two conductors may be zero, thus at the same potential, that can change due to conditions and thus the PD will be +/- zero

The Neutral of a circuit and the Earth should have the same potential difference, but this DOES NOT make them the same conductor.

The First Law of Thermodynamics is irrelevent in this context...but not irrelevent to electrical circuits in general in case someone wanted to point that out.. :)

I am busy with a quote at the moment, but when I have done this I will write a plain and simple explanation that will allow this to be clarified so everyone is clear.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
I'll write a big explanation later about all this, however suffice it to say I will post this.

NEUTRAL = EARTH= 0V THIS IS WRONG

Neutral and Earth ARE NOT ONE AND THE SAME, they just have the same electrical potential in a balanced supply with a unity power factor.

My previous post on this was worded VERY badly, confused the issue, and I posted a couple of bits that are actually wrong..I must have had my head in my proverbial ...sorry.

I will write a detailed explanation of all this tomorrow, I have to go out now.

By the way, FWL.

Seeing as you seem to know: Am I, or ban-all-sheds right about the AC issue.

Your Both wrong.

It is a matter of semantics in one case, however, electrically you are both incorrect.

I will explain it later when I have time free to type a full explanation.

FWL_Engineer said:
Adam, whilst the potential difference between two conductors may be zero, thus at the same potential, that can change due to conditions and thus the PD will be +/- zero

What you originally said was:
FWL_Engineer said:
Neutral and Earth ARE NOT ONE AND THE SAME, they just have the same electrical potential in a balanced supply with a unity power factor.
Now, if they have the same potential, the potential difference MUST be zero. In which case in the Earth frame of reference then neutral DOES equal zero. Now, I know that in real life power supplies neutral doesn't = 0 with respect to earth, but I just thought I should perform my duty as a pedant ;)

With respect to the evolution thermodynamics thing, it could be worse: some (perhaps all) states in america are only allowed to teach evolution as "a theory" and have to give equal weighting to creationist theory. What next? A european electrical college describing earth as "a theory" and giving equal weighting to flimsy inadequate cables? :LOL:

AdamW said:
With respect to the evolution thermodynamics thing, it could be worse: some (perhaps all) states in america are only allowed to teach evolution as "a theory" and have to give equal weighting to creationist theory. What next? A european electrical college describing earth as "a theory" and giving equal weighting to flimsy inadequate cables? :LOL:

It wouldn't suprise me.

As I said, I'm having a running debate with someone about evolution vs. creationism. Arguing with him is like wading through treacle.

When it gets to the point that I have made a convincing argument against his, he brings in everything else to confuse the issue again.

I.e. "based on this and that, according to Jenkins, taking into account the rotation of the moon..... ;), evolution is therefore impossible".... Jesus!

Are there any creationists on this site, just out of curiosity?

Seeing your recent post about SWA to the guy powering his studio made me wonder if you ever got an answer from the IEE about this?

FWL_Engineer said:
ban-all-sheds said:
But doesn't that higher rating come about because the insulation of the cable will tolerate a higher temperature? If you install a circuit such that it runs with a higher conductor temperature than you would encounter with normal T&E, can you be sure that the switchgear and appliance(s) will be happy at that temperature?

NO it does not, the higher current carrying capacity of SWA comes about due to it being Hard Drawn Annealed Multi-Strand, T&E is soft drawn Multi-stranded and not annealed, as a result it heats up quicker for a given load than the cores of SWA or even Pyro, the latter is also a higher grade of copper, this is why a Pyro of a given size will carry more load than any other cable.

ban-all-sheds said:
Doesn't 3-core SWA have a lower rating than 2-core? Or is that only on the assumption of multi-phase currents?

3 Core SWA has a LOWER volt drop rating than 2 core.

According to table 4D4B, the volt drop of 3 core cables is consistantly lower than that of 2 core cables, HOWEVER, this is assuming the cable will be used on a 3 phase supply in the Regs.

This is something I will be speaking to the IEE about in a few minutes to shed some light on this particular point.

I did speak to the IEE about this, the reason I stated as possible for the difference in volt drop is correct, and the volt drops listed in the regs are for 3 phase 400V cables.

If 3 or Multicore cables are used for single phase supplies then you should use the volt drop figures for 2 core single phase cables.

There is nothing that tells you this in the Regs book, but the IEE state this is the correct route to go.

OK.

What's going on to make this happen? Lower voltage drop implies lower resistance. Lower resistance implies greater current carrying capacity.

But 3/4 core cables used for 3-phase have lower VD and lower capacity.

¿que pasa?

FWL_Engineer said:
However, in the 20 odd years I have been in the trade, I have rarely come across borrowed neutrals. As far as I can recall, the only time they have been encountered is when correcting problems caused by DIY electricians, with one notable exception.

Odd - this guy claims that all of the houses on his estate have borrowed neutrals: http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?forumID=23&threadID=7021&messageID=68973#68973

and this guy confirms what I thought, i.e. that there was a time when it was, if not common practice, not unheard of.. http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?forumID=23&threadID=7021&messageID=69294#69294

What about the rest of you pros out there - how widespread is this insidious practice?

not a hugely long time ago 10mm cable in domestic would have been considered rare and 16mm was unheared of

63A mcbs come in the normal size from almost every brand...

When is somebody going to step in and do something about this? Given that an increasing number of dwellings have two bathrooms and potentially, therefore, two electric showers, how are normal domestic supplies going to cope? There is a very high chance that both showers could be running simultaneously, along with a kettle, a toaster the cooker and maybe even electrical heating on a winter's morning. Let's say around 160A. Okay, so a 100A BS88 fuse will handle 200A for around 25 minutes, but is it a good idea to regularly overload your service fuse like that? And are all consumer units and fuseboards built to deal with that current draw?

Might we soon have to regulate what type and size appliances are allowed, as they do in many countries less well endowed with electrical supplies? Householders treat leccie like kids treat toys - they can do what they like until something breaks. I sometimes shudder when I encounter the years of bodged additions to ancient installations and marvel that the houses are still standing.

I'm with B-A-S here - somebody stop B & Q from selling electrical kit to DIY-ers, please - showers and downlighters a priority!!!

I've just bought an electric shower (9.8KW@240V, 9.0KW@230V) and although I have used 10mm TWE, the installation instructions say that 6mm TWE is ok? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back