10mm OK to feed a shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom renovation, and I can run the hot and cold feed for the new thermostatic shower mixer from one of two places: 1) existing bath which has 15mm polypipe coming through the floor, or 2) the sink which has 10mm copper coming through the floor.

the sink 10mm is in a better position to take a feed from for the shower - would it make much of difference to use this rather than the 15mm? water pressure etc is fine.

Sponsored Links
Pressure is one thing but flow rate is another. Do it all in 15mm. What does the shower installation manual say???

Sponsored Links
My kitchen and utility are supplied with 10mm pipe.

Flow is fine, reduced volume means quicker delivery of hot water and led wasted discharge.

Wouldn't want to run my shower off it though.

Flow is fine, reduced volume means quicker delivery of hot water and led wasted discharge.

Pressure does not differ,circumference/ length of pipe run affects both flow, delivery and temperature.

Contradiction.

Yeah seen 10mm many times in newer builds to feed basins and sinks that have water saver aerators in them, seem to work ok.

Wouldn't have the flow to be able to shower more than 1 body part at one time tho, that's for sure :p

Pressure does not differ,circumference/ length of pipe run affects both flow, delivery and temperature.

Contradiction.

how is it a contradiction?makes sense to me, there's two different requirements thats all

Matt

My kitchen and utility are supplied with 10mm pipe.

And :

Flow is fine,
Wouldn't want to run my shower off it though

For the record nobody but cowboys,diyer`s would ever dream of piping up any supply in less than 15mm pipe and never in plastic or pushfit fittings. ;)

Most shower hoses are about 8mm and seem to be acceptable so running hot and cold in 10mm as long as the runs arent too long would not be noticable, not saying I would do it ;) but it would not be the end of the world if the op done it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back