12v Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a water feature which uses low voltage(only 5watts).
It has a transformer socket supplied which I can plug into our waterproof enclosure connected to waterproof sockets.

The problem I have is the length of the cable supplied for the transformer is only 5m long but the water feature is placed roughly 22m away.

I have bought water proof connectors and am looking to buy low voltage cable so I can extend the wire but I am confused on the type of cable to buy and whether I need 0.75mm(which is the current 5m one supplied) or do I need 1.5mm(Ive read some points on voltage drops which suggest I need a thicker cable).

Is there speciffcally a low voltage type of cable I need to buy or is any cable rated up to 240v fine?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the output voltage of the transformer?

Does the feature definitely only use 5 watts?

I'll have to have a look when I get home but I know its uses little electric, there was an option to power using a 5w solar panel instead

0.75mm square cable has a resistance of less than 30 ohms per km, or less than 0.7 ohms per 22m.
If your water feature uses 5 watts, that is 0.4amps at 12V, so the 22m cable would drop less than 0.3volts. Hardly a problem! Any cable suitable for use outdoors will do.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back