12v Garden Decking Lights Stopped Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i installed some decking lights in the wooden edging that i have around the lawn early in the summer and they have been working fine every night for months. Then last week i noticed they were all flickering so i just unplugged them temporarily as it wasnt a nice sight. Plugged them in again tonight and now they dont work at all.

I assumed water had got i to one of the connections but just not sure which one, i would have to check each connection i guess but will have to wait until next spring now.

But then i wondered if only one connection was wet wouldnt all the other lights still work with them being 12v? Unless it the very first light maybe?

Anybody have any ideas? Also any tips for when i investigate and how to fix a wet connection? Are there any tips for waterproofing further, already wrapped them in self amalgamating tape but obviously not good enough assuming it is water ingress thats stopped them

Sponsored Links
Hi, i installed some decking lights in the wooden edging that i have around the lawn early in the summer and they have been working fine every night for months. Then last week i noticed they were all flickering so i just unplugged them temporarily as it wasnt a nice sight. Plugged them in again tonight and now they dont work at all.
How did you choose which ones to buy?

Are there any tips for waterproofing further, already wrapped them in self amalgamating tape but obviously not good enough assuming it is water ingress thats stopped them
Surely the system is designed to be installed outside, and is suitable for that environment without needing bits to be taped up?

How did you choose which ones to buy?

Surely the system is designed to be installed outside, and is suitable for that environment without needing bits to be taped up?

Yes they are outdoor waterproof decking lights off of Amazon, i just taped up as extra precaution. One thing i didnt realise i had missed until afterwards though was the rubber O rings which im sure will help to be more waterproof...oops.

Because they are round the lawn edge they are likely to be semi submerged in soil in some areas.

Im not 100% sure it is water damage though i just dont know what else it will be, as i say they have worked fine for the last 4 or 5 months then just started flickering last week and now wont turn on at all.

... I assumed water had got i to one of the connections but just not sure which one .... But then i wondered if only one connection was wet wouldnt all the other lights still work with them being 12v?
If they're rinning from 12V, it's unlikely that water ingress would have an impact on their functioning. If they have now all stopped working, it's more likely that either you having a wiring problem (loose connection somewhere?) or a dead/dying power supply/transformer/whatever.

What sort of lights are these - LED or what? Did you pay a reasonable (reasonably high) price? If not, are you sure that you didn't buy something cheap with a (realistic) life-expectancy of 4-5 months?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If they're rinning from 12V, it's unlikely that water ingress would have an impact on their functioning. If they have now all stopped working, it's more likely that either you having a wiring problem (loose connection somewhere?) or a dead/dying power supply/transformer/whatever.

What sort of lights are these - LED or what? Did you pay a reasonable (reasonably high) price? If not, are you sure that you didn't buy something cheap with a (realistic) life-expectancy of 4-5 months?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry, thought i had mentioned, yes they are LED. I wouldnt consider them cheap, but certainly could get more expensive :) I will have to check them out during some dry weather. Could well be the power supply, might try and get a better version of that

[QUOTE="adzyp, post: 4005533, member: 219431" Could well be the power supply, might try and get a better version of that[/QUOTE]

Well you could check it with your multimeter.

I will have to check them out during some dry weather.
I don't know about your part of the country but, where I live, the weather is currently generally a lot more dry that it was during most of the 'Summer'!!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back