12V Shower Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom was fitted with 3 - 12v 35w shower lights about 2 years ago. One of the lights has started to flicker/dim/extinguish. If I switch off & on again it works fine for about 1 minute & then flickers etc. Have changed the bulb for a new one & changed it with one of the other working bulbs but the same happens on the same light. This must rule out a faulty bulb. The 3 lights are all connected to one transformer, rated 105VA, does this rule out the transformer. The wiring from the transformer goes to a good light, then the faulty light then a good light. I notice that none of the fittings are earthed, even though twin & earth wiring, the earths being connected together but not connected to the fitting. Can someone help?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried replacing the bulb holder (the part which the bulb plugs into and its cable)?

Also, I don't think the ELV cable should daisy chain from one fitting to another. You should have a cable running from the tranny to each fitting. Does the tranny have 3 seperate outputs?

SELV wiring has no earth. Twin and earth cable has been used instead of two-core cable, so the CPC (earth cable) is not needed.

It is a common fault that the connectors on small 12 volt spot lights get a bad connection and overheat as soon as that happens the little socket needs changing.

Will replace the bulb holder (when I can find one) Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Ericmark got it spot on. Went to change the holder & found that a screw in the holder was loose. Nice to get a simple solution to a problem
Thanks everyone
Jon :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back