Low Voltage Downlight Problems, Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought 6 of these for my bathroom

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IP54-CHROME-1...9431545QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29510QQcmdZViewItem

Got 6 transformers from the electrician at my work, have them fitted to a dimmer switch and used 20w bulbs rather than the 50w one's that were supplied.

Initially for the first 4 days i used the 50w bulbs before purchasing the 20w one's, during this period they worked with no problems.

When i changed them to the 20w one's this is when it all went wrong, most of the lights flickered, then 5 of them never worked. I tested the bulbs and they worked ok, and when i moved the transformer of the working lamp to one of the faulty one's it worked ok, conclusion, faulty transformers! Spoke to my work collegue who gave me 5 new one's. I changed them over and bingo, 6 working lights!

Great, or so i thought, about 2 hrs later i dimmed them, then turned them back up full, flicker flicker, 3 out!!!

What is the problem?

Is it the lamps? Is it just unlucky transformers?

The transformers were two different makes, both state they are dimmable!

Please help, i don't want to ask my collegue again, he's a busy guy and i don't want to be a pest.

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you put the 50W lamps back in & they are ok it will prove Breezers suspicion, despite what the label says.

Sponsored Links
If this is the case and you do not want 50W you still can use 35W ones.
Is the dimmer the correct one?

Have bought the most expensive transformers i could get (£8.50 each) after getting a bit of advice from an old head, this has solved the problem, he recons dimmer switches are the root of all evil!

Thanks to all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back