Downlights 20w and 50w fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello can someone please kindly tell me if it possible to use 20w bulbs in a MR16 downlight kit which says "max 50w" (F-mark 35w, transformer 240v 60va max 50w) forgive my ignorance but I've never worked with downlights before thank you

Sponsored Links
Max. being the optimum word.

if your question were the other way roud the answer would be no

Thank you very much Mr Lighting and Mr Breezer just wanted to be sure nice one ;)

Sponsored Links
Just watch out for the minimum loading of the transformer. Should be 20VA, but you never know. The trouble with kits is that they can use cheap components, and cheap transformers can cause trouble...

thanks dippy I was thinking of getting some JCC transformers with 35w minimum load but am I correct in thinking the minimum load isn't a problem unless say with 4 20w lights on a transformer 3 of them go out it's only a matter of replacing the bulbs right? Also if you have say a 120W max transformer which had only 3 outputs but wanted to connect 5 20w lights to it is there any best way to connect them or is it just anyhow? Thanks

Yes, that is one issue, the other is if you use dimming.

If you have more lights than connections, simply double-up, but make sure wiring is parallel and not serial (which is unlikely as serial connection needs extra terminals).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back