Max 20w downlighters - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I brought some downlights from Wickes reduced to 97p each including the transformer and lamp. I only noticed that it was a maximum of 20w when I opened the box. I am interested in knowing what part of the kit is setting the maximum of 20w. The transformer has 'max 4.9a' written on it which, with my limited knowldege of ohms, seems to mean it can take more the 20w. The connector bit looks just the same as other downlights I have seen.
20w will be sufficient I am sure, but wondered what would happen if someone added a 50w lamp at a later date

Sponsored Links
They might find out the hard way that the rating is due to the capacity of the internal wiring, or of it's ability to deal with heat.

I brought some downlights from Wickes reduced to 97p each including the transformer and lamp. I only noticed that it was a maximum of 20w when I opened the box. I am interested in knowing what part of the kit is setting the maximum of 20w. The transformer has 'max 4.9a' written on it which, with my limited knowldege of ohms, seems to mean it can take more the 20w. The connector bit looks just the same as other downlights I have seen.
20w will be sufficient I am sure, but wondered what would happen if someone added a 50w lamp at a later date

I think you'll find the answer in this bit:

Carol1 said:

I budget around £20 for a 50w downlight, tranny and fire hood. I do this for a living and don't spend more than I have to, with reasonable consideration to cost/reliability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back