Downlights - 12V or 230V?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I think I have a simple problem, but it's baffled me a little, so I'd appreciate any help...

I want to replace the downlights in my living room - actually, all I want to replace is the surrounds (they're currently brass and my wife wants them in chrome).

Anyhow, I have checked the bulbs and they're the two sharp pin, 12V 50W type. I think I'm right in saying that there will be a transformer above the fitting.

Trouble is that I can't seem to find any downlights (Homebase/B&Q) that are for the 12V bulbs for any greater wattage than 20W! Are my light fittings perhaps old fashioned now?

Would it make any difference if I just buy the 20W light fittings and effectively just use the chrome surround or could running a 50W bulb in a 20W surround be dangerous in any way?

Or should I just remove the transformers and install 230V GU10 fittings instead? Would it be a simple case of snipping out the transformer and attaching the new GU10 fitting.

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most extra low voltage lamps are not supplied with a transformer but an inverter. The main point is an inverter has a min as well as max rating. Likely the min rating is higher than the 20W but without reading the inverter details that's just a guess.

In the main the GU10 is the better option but without details of the inverter that's a guess and until you post details of the inverter any other post is also guessing.

Anyhow, I have checked the bulbs and they're the two sharp pin, 12V 50W type. I think I'm right in saying that there will be a transformer above the fitting.
Yes likely more than one transformer, could be one for each lamp!
Trouble is that I can't seem to find any downlights (Homebase/B&Q) that are for the 12V bulbs for any greater wattage than 20W! Are my light fittings perhaps old fashioned now?
lots of lamps are now energy efficient and have a lower output rating but 50W are still available
Would it make any difference if I just buy the 20W light fittings and effectively just use the chrome surround or could running a 50W bulb in a 20W surround be dangerous in any way?
should not cause a problem, but you will need to check the minimum output of the transformers.
Or should I just remove the transformers and install 230V GU10 fittings instead? Would it be a simple case of snipping out the transformer and attaching the new GU10 fitting.
Removing the transformers is an option and it could be a simple job but could also not be, depends how they were installed.
I would go low LED lamps (GU10s) if I was making the swap but you can also get LEDs for the 12V.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. I will take the light fitting out tomorrow and take a look at the inverter.

I did also see that Screwfix sell 12v 50w fittings which would of course save me from re-wiring.

Is there any major advantage to the GU10 fittings - I'm not going to find I can't buy MR16 bulbs or something in 2 year's time? Ceilings are being replastered too, so I'm keen not to have to change them again anytime soon!

Thanks again.

One major advantage of going down the 240 route is you have don't have to worry about, tranys, inverters, drivers etc going faulty on you.
But both types of voltage have pros and cons and it is very unlikely that GU10 or M16 fittings, are going to be phased out in the near future!

MR16 lamps which you have now provide much better light than GU10.

To change to GU10 would be madness.

MR16 lamps which you have now provide much better light than GU10.
What on earth are you talking about?

GU10 lamps nearly always have MR16 envelopes. You can get MR11 ones, but they are rare.

I can see your point, but manufacturerers don't help by wrongly labelling their products. I bought a low energy dimmer switch last week...

One major advantage of going down the 240 route is you have don't have to worry about, tranys, inverters, drivers etc going faulty on you. But both types of voltage have pros and cons ...
It's a pretty basic question, and I'm probably just being dim, but I've often wondered what are the perceived advantages of (LV-driven) ELV lighting (as you indicate, some of the disadvantages are fairly clear), except in those situations in which one wants/needs ELV for safety reasons?

Kind Regards, John

One major advantage of going down the 240 route is you have don't have to worry about, tranys, inverters, drivers etc going faulty on you. But both types of voltage have pros and cons ...
It's a pretty basic question, and I'm probably just being dim, but I've often wondered what are the perceived advantages of (LV-driven) ELV lighting (as you indicate, some of the disadvantages are fairly clear), except in those situations in which one wants/needs ELV for safety reasons?

Kind Regards, John

I remember reading somewhere that ELV reflector lamps have a smaller filament than the same power LV ones, resulting in a better focussed ( i.e. more sharply delineated) spot. Also, power for power, I believe the light output of ELV is greater than LV.

I remember reading somewhere that ELV reflector lamps have a smaller filament than the same power LV ones, resulting in a better focussed ( i.e. more sharply delineated) spot.
Thanks. I suppose that's just about credible (although I would think there would probably be ways around it) - but, in any event, it would only be relevant to spotlights which one wanted to be 'highly focussed'.

Kind Regards, John

I remember reading somewhere that ELV reflector lamps have a smaller filament than the same power LV ones, resulting in a better focussed ( i.e. more sharply delineated) spot. Also, power for power, I believe the light output of ELV is greater than LV.
Thanks. I suppose that's just about credible (although I would think there would probably be ways around it) - but, in any event, it would only be relevant to spotlights which one wanted to be 'highly focussed'.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, which is actually the last thing that most people installing down-lights in the ceiling of a room want (or at least, need . :confused: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back