Downlights - 12V or 230V?

Sponsored Links
It's a pretty basic question, and I'm probably just being dim, but I've often wondered what are the perceived advantages of (LV-driven) ELV lighting (as you indicate, some of the disadvantages are fairly clear), except in those situations in which one wants/needs ELV for safety reasons?
The filaments in ELV lamps are thicker, and so can be run hotter and tend to have longer lives.

http://donklipstein.com/lfunfact.html#li

Yup.

I suppose, in theory, that given they are supplied by electronic power supplies there's the potential for soft-start and close control of constant lamp voltage even if the LV supply fluctuates, but I wonder how much of either of those the cheap rubbish sold in the sheds tends to do....

Sponsored Links
Yup. ... I suppose, in theory, that given they are supplied by electronic power supplies there's the potential for soft-start and close control of constant lamp voltage even if the LV supply fluctuates, but I wonder how much of either of those the cheap rubbish sold in the sheds tends to do....
Agreed - and thanks. I was just worried that I might be missing something 'obvious'/major, but it seems I probably wasn't.

Kind Regards, John

ELV gives a better light than LV. As the filament runs hotter, ELV produce a whiter light than LV lamps do.

Filaments in ELV lamps are also shorter and thicker than those in LV lamps of the same wattage which makes them physically stronger and less prone to breakage,

Has anyone else seen 20W 240V GU10 bulbs in action? As I recall they were quite yellow and had to be swapped for 50's.

At my ma's house, there are still some Thorn ELV dicroics working that were installed in 1991.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back