12v garden lights - cable question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying some PISCES AQUALITE led pond lights that will be used both in and out of water.

I will have the transformer located in an ip rated box in the garden.

these lights have an 8m cable going from the transformer to a junction box and then shorter cables that go to the lights.

my problem is that i want 1 light at the end of the garden and the other two a fair bit away. Obviously with the above setup this wont work.

so i was wondering if it would be possibe to put a small junction box or chocbloc connecter after the transformer (so its still in the ip box) and take the first light off that and the other two (via the originginal junction box)

not ideal i know but would it work?

many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Possibly, but you need to calculate what volt drop you would get if it is an excessively long extension to the original cable, or uprate the cable size.

not having seen them, so i may be wrong, but most lights like that dont have a "junction box" just a moulded on lump that all wires connect to.

If this is so by cutting off the 3rd one you will still have a pair "live" which may cause problems later on.

I would be inclined to chop them all off and use a choc box for the end of each one along with a good squirt of genuine silicone.

p.s i hope you never paid more than £30 for them.

if you did oh dear.

if you didnt there are some on ebay ending very soon (£17.00)

Don't think volt-drop is much of an issue with LEDs, is it?

Should you care, though, once you cut the supplied cables and extend them it's no longer a pre-assembled set, so it becomes notifiable.

I will have the transformer located in an ip rated box in the garden.
How is that supplied?

Sponsored Links
notifiable or not is the least of his worries, he has (or will have ) chopped them off so invalidating the warantee. :LOL:

I also have to disagree about the lights being notifiable anyway.

Ban-all-sheds. please dont take the following the wrong way.

you once said (in another post) because they are fixed they are notifiable now you are saying because it is no longer pre-assembled it is notfiable.

That implies you are saying if is pre assembled its not notifiable. (you last said it was because they are fixed its notifiable)

If that is so what about the type of 12v garden lights that you add to? They are not pre assembled, since you add to them as and when you want.

I would say no one will really get an electrican in or notify the LABC to say "please check my 12v garden lights, oh the cost, dont worry about that, the light set only cost me £30 i dont mind paying you £100+ to say what i have done with a £30 set of lights is ok."

Now the supply to the lights in this case i agree with you 100%

you once said (in another post) because they are fixed they are notifiable now you are saying because it is no longer pre-assembled it is notfiable.

That implies you are saying if is pre assembled its not notifiable. (you last said it was because they are fixed its notifiable)
Did I say "notifiable", or "within the scope of Part P"?

If that is so what about the type of 12v garden lights that you add to? They are not pre assembled, since you add to them as and when you want.
Dunno - does "pre-assembled lighting set" preclude it being pre-assembled with sockets for extending it via the purchase of a second pre-assembled lighting set ?

I would say no one will really get an electrican in or notify the LABC to say "please check my 12v garden lights, oh the cost, dont worry about that, the light set only cost me £30 i dont mind paying you £100+ to say what i have done with a £30 set of lights is ok."
I'm not defending it, or saying that it would make sense for anyone to do that..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back