13 amp single oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are replacing an old gas cooker with a built in electric oven and a gas hob.

Every oven we seem to like says it needs to be hard wired and not plug in.

We thought we had found a good, cheap, option with a Bosch HBA13B150 oven, which needs 2900 watt. But it says it can't be plugged in to a 13 amp socket.

Can it?

Or, can anyone recommend a good brand single oven which will let you run it through a standard plug?

Running a new oven circuit isn't an option for us.

Sponsored Links
where does it say it can't be plugged in to a 13A socket?

My understanding of a 2900W connected load and a 16A fuse is that the oven must be protected by a 16A fuse i.e. must not be connected to a 32A cooker circuit without additional protection.

The connected load is suitable for a 13A plug, although I think I'd prefer a FCU nowadays as 13A plugs aren't what they used to be.

The oven will cycle on its thermostat so it isn't a continuous 2900W load even if there's a christmas-cake in for a couple of hours.

However, the manufacturer's instructions are conclusive. If they say the oven must be connected to a 16A circuit then it shouldn't be plugged in.

Thanks. I am still stuck.

The manual for the Bosch (https://portal.bsh-partner.com/TCcustomBSH/controller/download_file?PDFOBID=ubtmaojcdcso0pdmdb---Z7N&UMOBID=ubtmandcdcso0pdmdb---Z7N) says.....

In the UK and Australia only
Do not connect using a 13 A plug or protect with a 13 A fuse.

After searching for hours, I am struggling to find any decent brand single ovens that say you can use them with a 13 amp plug. Despite the fact I keep reading comments that say most single ovens are suitable to be run off 13 amp.

Any more help would be good.

Sponsored Links
Any single oven can be installed on a 13amp plug provided it doesn't have the pyrolitic function however there are a few exceptions Smeg's single pyrolitic ovens for example can be installed on a 13 amp plug.

Any single oven can be installed on a 13amp plug provided it doesn't have the pyrolitic function however there are a few exceptions Smeg's single pyrolitic ovens for example can be installed on a 13 amp plug.

I was looking at one of the smeg pyrolitic ovens, but wasn't sure of their quality.

Many new ovens are well insulated and only use around 800-900 watts so hence frequently just use a 13amp plug.
Bosch are one of the exceptions and often need hard wiring.
Depends on complexity of appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back