Oven swap - is it possible....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen in my current house has a built under double oven - a couple of years old (Bosch -so not cheap - from memory almost £900)...it is hard wired in etc...

My new house needs a new kitchen...and I want a double oven - it has a newish looking single built under oven (haven't found a makers name on it yet -so suspect it was lower end ) - it was hard wired in and wires are thicker than you would normally see going into a 13 amp plug...obviously it was a recent replacement to what was orignally there (wood trims fixed on with blue tack and hob is an ancient Miele...)

Having a rewire so electrics will be upgraded for double oven... ...more can put the single in where a double one was? What do I need to look out for re electrics etc...

I know I would need to get a base unit for the single oven -but thats £50 - and I'm assuming I could just push it into the space?... plan for current house is to rent or sell...and don't think make of oven will make much difference!)

Also thinking for new kitchen it might be better to have it built in at eye level rather than built under - (I know this double oven can be fitted like that too) ....so any strong feelings on which is better - built under or built in? And why?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. There is no problem with hard wiring the single oven where the double one went. You can probably use the existing cable (flex?) fitted to the single oven as the double one should be wired with 6mm T&E.
As regards the mounting height of the oven in the new house, yes it does make more sense to have it at a suitable working height so you don't have to bend down to use it.

Sorry for not being clear ...got a stinking cold at moment
:( - (and need to finish plans for whole house for electricians coming next week!)

I know I needed to have a 'special' supply for the double oven ...wondering if it is too 'strong' for a single oven? Should it be on a lower fuse or something ...

Would be mad to go to the trouble of swapping it and then turn the single one on and it blow up ...or worse be dangerous ...

Sponsored Links
No, connecting a single oven to an existing cooker supply like this is normal practice and you will find this arrangement in lots of homes. If the oven is designed to run off a 13 amp plug then you will be losing what protection provided by the fuse in the plug but remember that in most countries no such fuses are used anyway. If there is a cable outlet remote from the actual cooker switch you could replace that with a fused outlet, fitted with a 13 amp fuse.
The fuse or MCB in the consumer unit will have be chosen to protect the house wiring for that circuit so that in the event of a short circuit the trip trips or the fuse blows before the wires get damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back