15 mm water supply to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

The water main into my house is in 15mm copper. Its a 1970's link detached so I though it would have been 25mm plastic but it appears not. At the moment I have an electric shower that I want to replace with a thermostatic one after I get a new combi boiler fitted. I am concerend that the 15 mm pipe will be insufficient. At the moment the water comes into the house to a T jct. One side of the T goes upstairs to feed the bathroom (2 x Sinks, WC, Bath, Electric Shower), the other side of the T feeds the Kitchen sink, then a dishwasher, then another sink and downstairs WC, then an o/s tap, then the washing machine and finally the combi boiler. The hot water from the combi is rubbish so I am planning on getting a new one. What are my options in order to provide a decent flow to a thermostatic shower? Also is the poor performance of the combi likely to be down to it being a crappy boiler (Ravenheat) or poor flow in the supply?

I've attched an image of the current pipes.

I would like to get the water main upgraded to 28 or 32 mm - how expensive would that be to do?

Thanks View media item 45776
View media item 45776[/img]

Sponsored Links
You will find that most rising mains are going to be 15mm.
Your shower should be rated correctly to your boiler.

I would like to get the water main upgraded to 28 or 32 mm - how expensive would that be to do?
Hi,
I'm resurrecting an old thread, but chances are you still could use some advice.
I'm going through similar scenario as you are, and has just been quoted by South East Water developer services, £817 (ex VAT) for replacing my 15mm supply to 25mm.

The distance between mains pipe and my boundary is just 1m... The price is outrageous !

Cheers,

Then ring round for better prices, you can do what you want after the meter/outside stop cock.

Sponsored Links
you can do what you want after the meter/outside stop cock

I'm sorry, I wasn't precise enough.
The £817 quote is for the supply connection only (communication pipe, ending with a meter box on my boundary).

Replacing supply pipe running within my property is a separate job.

Cheers,

What makes you think the supply in the street is 15mm?

I would of thought it would be 15 mm from the point it connects to the supply pipe and much larger from there.

"A picture is worth a thousand words":
waterpipes.jpg

The way I understand things is:
- my Supply Pipe is 15mm copper (i've seen it)
- I assumed that my Communication Pipe is 15mm as well
- I asked SEW to quote for a new 25mm supply (Communication Pipe + meter box)

Are you suggesting that despite my Supply Pipe being 15mm, my Communication Pipe may be larger diameter ?

I thought that Communication Pipe is usually the same diameter as Supply Pipe (and for 1970s house, it's 15mm).
If that's the case, then I'll only benefit from Supply Pipe replacement, if the Communication Pipe is replaced as well...

If you look down your external shut-off box you will see a pipe coming in - the communication pipe, and a pipe going out towards your house - the water service pipe. Note their relative sizes, and materials, if possible.

IMHO, it's not typical nowadays to find a 15mm service - (communication pipes are rarely the concern of the householder). But you could ask ( FWIW ) the Utility about your concerns.

Not sure if this applies, but i had an issue with water flow (or lack of),
I checked the water companies website and they requested a couple of checks - the amount of water flowing from the kitchen/garden tap (direct from the feed in rather then through tank etc), and also the water pressure.

I found that the flow slower then their recommended levels, pressure was within their guidelines.

As the flow was low, the water company changed the old lead (communication) pipe foc, though i already had a 22mm supply pipe so they ruled out that as the problem before they changed the communication pipe.

May be worth checking your suppliers website for advise on what the flow into the house should be first and check what it is...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back