15mm or 22mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The copper Hot water outlet from my condensing boiler is 15mm copper for the first couple of metres then joins 22mm up to the first floor where it reverts back to 15mm.
I guess the copper 22mm is a hangover from when the hot water tank was upstairs.
My question is,

Is there anything to be gained by using 22mm instead of 15mm to the 1st floor shower ?

The shower has good pressure, no problems there, I just don't want to lose any advantage the wider pipe may give.
I'm replacing the pipes anyway as they do not take the shortest route and are currently uninsulated.
Please bear with me if it's a stupid question but I just cannot get my head around when to use 22mm pipe.

Sponsored Links
Depends if your condensing boiler is a combi or storage with a cylinder, I am guessing it's a combi.

Anyway if it is a combi reducing to 15mm will have little effect on pressure but will slightly reduce the time it takes for hot water to reach the shower, because there's less cold water to move out of the pipework before the hot gets there.

If it is a storage system working on gravity reducing the pipe size will adversely affect the pressure at the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back