15mm supply on gas inlet on Greenstar 24 Ri

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys need some help

Have moved into my new house which has a Greenstar 24RI boiler installed by British Gas 3 years ago. I have just had a gas engineer out to have a look at changing the 1980s radiators to new ones , and he has told me that the boiler is installed incorrectly and needs a new gas supply pipe, and there maybe a small possibility of damage to the boiler.

Can anyone let me know what the best course of action is on this please and if this pipe issue is really a problem

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
3 years without a problem I'm assuming. Tell him to go and do one. Has he gas rated the boiler and checked working pressures?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies , really appreciate it. I have since spoken to the old owner a lady of 85 who says it occasionally cuts out itself but starts working again. She also told me the reason why the radiators that were under radiator covers didn't have TRVs installed is because the engineer told her the box meant they didn't need them :rolleyes: !

Is it worth calling British Gas and asking them to change the gas supply or even to say that their bad installation has invalidated the warranty?

You won't have a warranty anyway so no point.

To a degree he is correct even if all the pressures are correct Worcester instructions say it must be connected with a 22mm pipe.
Every gas engineer will know this is ****** but never the less it makes it not to current standards.

It won't have damaged the boiler.

The reason the rads under rad covers would hav revs is because they wouldn't work not because it didn't need them. It was either explained badly or misunderstood

Worcester released a tech bulletin to say that 15mm was acceptable as long as inlet working pressures were ok.

As for a warranty, if BG fitted it it hasnt got one as BG cover the warranty period. Which is much shorter than worcesters.

I'm Gas Safe registered & have a 24Ri in my own house, it has been in for over 8 years on a 22mm supply, it's been gas rated FGA checked on a regular basis and it will lock out one or two times a year for no reason.
Get a decent engineer to gas rate & check the inlet pressure at the boiler before you start ripping up floorboards to renew gas pipes.

How many rads have you got? The boiler is probably grossly oversized and only running at full rate for a very short period anyway. BG salesmen often spec a 24 kW boiler when the demand is less than 10kW ;)

We have 12 radiators and 3 bathroom towel radiators. Im not sure if it is the right size boiler or not, but I rang BG today and they are sending an engineer out on thursday Am to investigate the install.....

the ultimate aim is to have my radiators replaced but the engineer that came round said the boiler installation has to be sorted before the radiators are replaced as its currently unsafe by gas safe standards

Thanks to all your input on the thread, BG has replaced the Gas inlet pipe to the correct width free of charge and the radiators have now been replaced so Im one happy bunny.

Another question, at the moment I have 12 Radiators and 3 Towel radiator1200m x 600mm,s ( 4 bed 3 bathroom house 2200sq feet ) Is the boiler sufficient for this or should I look to get a quote for a replacement to a larger model .

Not enough info. A heat loss calc needs to be done to determine boiler size, but from your info a 24 kw boiler is certainly big enough. I have a similar sized property and an 18kw boiler which is more than enough.

Nice to find someone willing to spend money on their house!

Also good that BG corrected their undersized gas supply pipe!

15 mm is only adequate for a boiler very close to the gas meter.

Worcester have always asked for a 22 mm gas pipe. They do this to lessen the chance of installers skimping on an installation.

But as so many installers complained that this was unreasonable when the boiler is beside the meter, they issued a retraction that, in some cases when the required working pressure at the boiler could be achieved, the 15 mm tube could be used. But from memory this was specifically limited to the 12 Ri and 15 Ri lower power models.

Your house probably only needs a 15 kW boiler so the 24Ri is already oversized.

It was a bit over the top for your first installer to refuse to replace radiators unless the gas supply pipe size was corrected as new radiators have no relevance at all to that. He was probably short of work!

If you want to usefully spend money then get the wall cavity insulated as this can reduce heating bills by about 25%.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back