16mm meter tails & DNO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got the NIC bloke coming out for an assessment soon after changing my CU & noticed in my meter box I've got a 100A main fuse & 16mm tails. Phoned Central Networks who said I need to speak to the metering dept at my electric supplier (BG). Managed to get to speak to someone who was only interested in booking the job in as upgrading meter tails & installing a isolator & kept harping on about, how it was illegal to mess with the meter box & it was my responsibility :evil: . This was going to cost me anywhere between £60-£100.

Would it be a fail if I put 16mm tails & 100A main fuse on EIC.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I can't see how you can be penalised for something that is out of your control. When you have your assessment just make it clear that you have set the wheels in motion regarding getting the tails upgraded.

Are you also 100% sure that there is a 100A fuse inside the carrier? If you are going by the label on the side then they are not always correct.

Yeah, good point.

I was going by the label on the side of the fuse. It looks like a proper label that should be there.

I've worked my max demand out to be 56A so the 16mm tails would be ok anyway. Its just the fuse thats debatable.

Sticker on the side of the fuse carrier isn't always right, infact is usually wrong. :)
Also some cutouts can only take 16MM max.

Don't see why their charging you as the tails between the cut out and the meter are the DNO's responsibility, maybe their charging you for the isolator which I also think is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Central networks should install an isolator FOC, once they have done this, you'll find that the consumer side of it is unsealed allowing you to upgrade the tails, as to the interconnections from the meter, thats their side, and if they are happy that 16mm on 100A fuse is adequate, then you've taken care of your side of things IMHO.

When I phoned Central Networks they said that this wasnt their responsibility. The women read out a list of things that they were responsible for, things like underground cables, substations etc.

When I phoned British Gas the women I spoke to just wanted my ££££ & that was that.

Cheers for the replies anyway chaps :D

I'm going to leave it & maybe put it down as an observation.

Or just cut the seals, replace the tails and be done with it, the impression I get from a mate who works for central networks is that they arn't really that bothered (though I suppose the metering company might have a slightly different outlook)

Adam_151 said:
Or just cut the seals, replace the tails and be done with it, the impression I get from a mate who works for central networks is that they arn't really that bothered (though I suppose the metering company might have a slightly different outlook)

round here your lucky if you see a seal on the tail boxes just on the meter itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back