16th edition test certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the score with issuing the 16th edition test certificates, I was told by a spark at work that as I'm 16th edition qualified I can issue these certificates on any electrical work I do providing I contact the local building control before starting work, am able to provide test results and have it inspected by them. The spark said that they will only need to inspect my work a couple of times and if everything is up to standard they will put me on their competent persons list and will not need to come out and inspect every job. I cant believe this is right because as we all know you don't need much electrical experience to get a 16th edition pass,even the apprentice at my last job passed it and I wouldn't trust him to wire up a plug, but the spark says it's true.

Sponsored Links
Anyone can issue a certificate as long as they are 'competant' , whether your building control will accept it is another matter, if your work is to BS7671 (and that includes certs as well) then I can't see what grounds they have to reject it, considering that that is the recommended way of complying as given in the approved doc, however they might kick up a fuss by saying that if you don't have 2391, JIB, or whatever they won't accept the cert, which is a bit daft in my mind(ban will explain the legalities of it, I can't remember :oops: ). In my mind, work should be accepted or rejected soley on the quality of that work, regardless of who the installer is, he could be an trained circus chimp for all I care, but if he installs his shower to BS7671 then LABC should accept it. Some LABC kick up a fuss because they wouldn't recognise a BS7671 compliant install if they found one in their coffee :LOL:

It is possible that if your LABC is a friendly one, after they have seen a few BS7671 compliant installs, they might trust that your word that you have installed to BS7671 in future, and they might decide they no longer need to inspect it and might offer you a lower price becuase of that :)

I don't however expect LABC to do the testing anymore than I expect them to second fix, however as there is no requirement to strick to BS7671 you could try and get away with no testing, however LABC won't like this and you'd have to prove that it was still going to be resonably safe...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back