1750s cottage renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Restoring a 1750s cottage in Cumbria. The kitchen is one of my priorities. This is a photograph of it under previous ownership, Look where they had the cooker! The sink unit is at a slant - I think because there used to be a corner fireplace.
I don't want a totally fitted kitchen. Possibly a bespoke element (pale painted cupboards with chunky wood worktops) then free standing furniture from auction/freecycle/second hand shops/preloved.

The challenge awaits.....

Sponsored Links
Do post on your progress!
Are you happy with any inspections re rot, woodworm, damp and other nasties so far?
I've done one refurb in Keswick (not mine :p ) and the value has gone through the roof!
John :)

I got the cottage for a knock down (we hope not literally) price for cash from a semi retired vicar who used it as a holiday cottage for 25 years and had to sell due to family ill health. It's a couple of miles from Kirkby Stephen. The surveyor thinks it's a good buy but I'm proceeding with fingers and toes crossed because there are conflicting opinions on the cause and remedy for the damp area on the internal wall, first floor gable end.
Should make a tidy profit if I can keep to budget. Worst scenario at least cover costs.
There is a cobbled courtyard at the front and the side garden belongs to it too.
Outside was repaired and repainted and the shrubbery cut back since this image.

A lovely wee hoose :p
Is that the gable that joins onto the other property that has the damp?
Thanks for the pics!
John :)

Sponsored Links
It's a sweet little house with some lovely features - dinky little sash windows, window seats, beams, interesting wall recesses, cobbled courtyard, garden with a glimpse of the fells... The damp bit is the first floor gable end. Various possible causes not helped by it having been left empty most of the time but hey a subject for another thread. Renting temporarily at the mo and had this naive idea of continuing till the worst work is done but I keep thinking what the rent outlay would buy so will be camping out in one room for some months. At least I'll be there to keep any contractors in line! Will posting more 'before' pics.

One of the attractions of the property are the little wooden 4 pane sash windows which however are rotting at the bottom. I've been assured by countless people that they are not repairable. When I say I want to replace them with wood, people look at me as if I am mad. Now I've had wood effect UPVC imitation sash windows on a cottage before and they looked lovely - but that was in comparison to the modern monstrosities they replaced. If however the cottage had been next door to a neighbour a few doors up who had new wooden sash windows made in the original style - they would have looked an abomination in comparison.
The other thing with UPVC windows, is that though these days you can get decent wood effect ones, they can be a lot chunkier than the original wood - cutting down the light and just not looking 'right' - especially if the window is already small.
But it may come down to price in the end. Watch this space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back