17th edd, bonding question, metal shower cubical

S

sjwkmje

So I have the red book in front of me and looking over it for some help in a bathroom situation that just came up.

Metal shower cubical with an earth tag. Do you bond it?

All circuits in the wetroom are RCD protected as per 701.411.3.3, extractor fan is SELV as its a wet room 701.512.3 now would you class the metal shower cubical as a extraneous conductive part? If you do it needs to be bonded 411.3.1.2.

I am going on the side of running a 4mm2 earth cable just in case while work is been done.

Any ideas?

Adam

Sponsored Links
Most shower cubicals are designed by men with large foreheads and no electrical knowledge.

The answer is a big NO, unless you intend to run mains cabling inside the mouldings which I doubt

Most shower cubicals are designed by men with large foreheads and no electrical knowledge.

The answer is a big NO, unless you intend to run mains cabling inside the mouldings which I doubt

Why do they put an earth tag, just to confuse you? I have been racking my brain on this one all day and the couple of sparks I did ask even said they would even bond a kitchen sink, so they ovb not done there 16th and 17th as kitchen sink bonding went out with the 15th!

Can you tell me why its a big NO? I might have overlooked something stupid.

Adam

So when you did the 16th & 17th what was the reason for not bonding Kitchen sinks? Something like possibly introducing a potential that would not normally be there?

It's the same reason why, under normal circumstance we don't bond shower cubicals, metal window frames and so on.

I have noticed that some new sinks still have an earth tag.....

Sponsored Links
Because some items are exported to countries that don't conform to the 17th.

Interesting to note that stainless steel sinks are no longer bonded, does the same apply to the copper pipes supplying the taps? The argument re induced vltage is the same!

So when you did the 16th & 17th what was the reason for not bonding Kitchen sinks? Something like possibly introducing a potential that would not normally be there?

It's the same reason why, under normal circumstance we don't bond shower cubicals, metal window frames and so on.

I have noticed that some new sinks still have an earth tag.....

The reason why I asked was when this has come up before I have allways refused to bond incase I introduce a potential that we do not want there. Same with sinks. But some one questioned this not been the case with 17th edd and should bond and quoted no reg numbers so out came the book, I have not yet done my 17th edd yet but I have a good grasp of it and have done 16th edd, just waiting for the time to sit it. His reasoning turned out to be if there is an earth tag bond it!

I was questioning my self but as it turns out I was right in the first instant and should not bond it.

Thanks for confirming that Pensdown.
Adam

Interesting to note that stainless steel sinks are no longer bonded, does the same apply to the copper pipes supplying the taps? The argument re induced vltage is the same!

In kitchens yep.
Not really an argument about induced voltage, is more about having two simultaneously accessable parts which can introduce different potentials and the risks posed a person within the vacinity of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back