17th edition in commercial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys

I just wanted to run this past you

i am aware of the 17th regs regarding domestic where all unprotected buried cables less than 50mm etc have to RCD protected but how does this relate to commercial

for example a building that has had drops of switch lines in plastic oval conduit. flex inside false walls, skirting trunking for sockets for office computers. flex run on tray for KLIK roses etc etc etc

does all this have to RCd protected too?

Sponsored Links
Unless the installation is under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person then all concealled unprotected cables should be RCD protected.

thanks mate that helps me out

to continue with this .....

from july 1st if i went into a property to change a circuit do i now have to RCBO that circuit? or do i have to say your CCU now needs upgrading or do i just note on the certificate that it doesnt comply with current regs?

Plus if i now carry out a PIR from the 1st July most CCUs will not comply so does that mean i have to put observation 4 on everything?

The work you do needs to be to the 17th edition, apart from earthing/bonding and ensuring the circuits are adequate for the additional load you don't need to start upgrading the stuff installed to the 16th.
You can put a comment on the EIC if you wish.
Periodic inspections are a little bit different in the respect that they are done to the current edition of the regs. Anything which does not comply should be noted down, what you code them is your shout.

Sponsored Links
so an easy senario would be i go in and install downlights in the kitchen

i will now have to comply with hte 17th regs and protect that circuit with an RCBO if the consumer unit is say a full board and no room for movement.

the rest of the board (apart from earthing and bonding) is not of my concern (you know what i mean...)

oh but if there was space on the RCD side of the exisitng board i take it i can just move that circuit over to there?

Depends on wether you deem installing lighting circuits on the same RCD as socket circuits falls foul of 314.1

yeah its if the sockets are downstairs too isntit?

soit would be more simple RCBO that circuit

My personal opinion is that lighting circuits would be better kept on their own RCD i.e. by use of RCBOs.
If you were installing sockets onto a circuit then you may consider RCD protecting the whole circuit, all general use sockets installed to the 17th edition need to be RCD protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back