18x12 concrete/timber shed base...few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an offer of a shed last week, secondhand, so went for it cost £500 from a local school, but don't know what it's been sitting on cos the floor joists are pretty shot but the rest of it is sound.
I'm thinking on doing a base in concrete 100mm thick, no reinforcing, no type 1 below(we really don't need it there is no soil just hard compacted glacial till under where it's going).
Can anyone advise what size of mixer I should get as I plan to handball the lot, and how long it would take to do 2m cubed (so about 5 tonnes all in) just one person?
The joists it's got at present are only 38x95 so even if I was to put down a series of pads and make good the rotten outer timbers of the frame I'd still need at least 18 perfectly level and square to each other= ballache!!

My other option would be to scrap the frame(it's in 2 parts 12x9), reclaim the 18mm ply from it, and build a new frame of tanalised/treated timber using 8x2's. Maximum span at 600mm centres is about 3.4m so with 6 blocks and 2 frames (2.74x 3.65) this would work out ok provided the long side of the block helped reduce the 3.65 to 3.4....?Other side no problem well within span limits. If I made the 2 outer frames in 8x2 I could maybe even reduce the internal floor ones spanning the 2.74 to 6x2's as their max span is 2.61m...near enough!

I do need to get this thing erected ASAP, it's lying in the garden totally in the way of everything(including my decking project which has been scuppered by this new arrival!!!)

Sponsored Links
save yourself a small fortune and lay 5 continuous rows ( level)of concrete blocks across the 12 width
get some new 4 x 2 joists across the 18' (some places will stock 18')
or double up on split length
then add 18mm ply or such for floor ( not osb )

Opted for the latter choice with 8x2's... the 6.pads are bang level(good old water level) and I used the old frames sat on pallets to plumb down and set the pads in the right place. Decided on this because by using 4.8m lengths I cut them in the sawmill to 2.8/2m lengths- this allowed me to use the 2.8m for the 9ft(2744mm) lengths and use 4 complete 4.8's to span the 12ft(3660mm)
The remaining 2m lengths are now being used to do two of the 4 bays for the decking around the other side of the house(4 bays each 1935mm wide) so wastage has been zilch- even the 4 off cuts from the 12ft sides will get used in creating a ramp into the shed eventually....
Got them all cut and the Endsele on tonight, frame building starts tomorrow!!

The concrete option was just way too permanent also, and too much hard work. Hopefully the shed has plenty of life left in it if I treat it well, and even if it needs replaced the joists should be fine as I'm spending time properly damp proofing it.....

Ta for the reply Fencer- joists were £12.09+vat so not too bad! :)

Sponsored Links
Job done...just got the "Goosewing Grey" metal sheeting on it this weekend so hopefully that'll be it regarding maintenance.
Got a bloke coming around to cut down all the pine trees within striking distance sometime soon, sods law if I don't and we get another "Hurricane Bawbag" event one will hit the thing......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back